Help with a first time build!!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kaalingomes

Help with a first time build!!

Post by kaalingomes » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 am

Hi everyone! I made a reddit just for this, lol. I'm doing a first time build geared toward gaming specifically for Ark survival evolved. I figure if it can run that it can run anything. I've gamed all kinds of consoles but never pcs. I've made a list on pcpartpicker and was wondering if you guys could take a look. See if I'm missing anything or any changes should be made?

Specifically I'm wondering if that motherboard is ok? Also, for the video card I've been bouncing between the 5600 and 5700. From researching I think the 5600 is pretty solid and I dont know if the performance vs price is worth it to go with the 5700. And lastly, I dont know if it's worth upgrading the cpu from ryzen 3600 to the 3700. Really I'd like to keep the whole build under $1000 (I know right now once I add in monitor and windows itll be above that) but at the same time I want to be able to game and maybe stream in the future without problems.

Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kMNLYH

CA_Steve

Re: Help with a first time build!!

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:30 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

What's your monitor resolution/what resolution are you going to game at? That has the biggest impact on gpu performance along with where you set the quality tab (epic, high, etc).

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:45 am

I agree with Steve.
For a gaming computer you first need to define what graphic performance you need and then pick parts to reach that objective. (And of course the more performance you want/need, the more expensive it will be.)

Your current pick is about good enough for 1080p at ~60 fps with high settings.
You should really opt to get an SSD in there as well, at least a 256GB for the OS and some frequently used software. It will feel very sluggish otherwise.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 am

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Great CPU, specially on a budget. Down the road you can always get a used 3900/3800/3700 if you need it, but for now i think the 3600 is more than enough for gaming.
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Great Mobo, i already did two builds with it, one with 3600 and one with 3900x, both working great.
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
With the ninja5 i would avoid tall memory, try to get corsair lpx with the ninja5 or drop the ninja5 for a mugen5 if you want tall memory.
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
I would recommend you look into an SSD for OS/Programs, as big as your budget allows, maybe something like Intel SSD 660P Series 512GB M.2, and a 5400rpm drive for storage like WD Blue 2TB 5400 RPM - WD20EZAZ
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Great compact case, i would move the back fan to front so you have two of the same fan, and add a ARCTIC F12 PWM .
Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE Video Card
Not such a great time to be looking for GPUs, i would prefer a MSI GTX1660 Super Gaming, but they are out of stock or too expensive atm.
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Also tought time to buy, not so many options atm, but i would prefer Seasonic FOCUS 550 Gold SSR-550FM