I believe God is trying to get me off the computer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

I believe God is trying to get me off the computer

Post by acaurora » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:18 am

May I say, for the record, that I am THE most unlucky person. Ever. I mean, first, the CPU burns out on me, and NOW THE 6800 ULTRA OC BURNS OUT ON ME AS WELL. I had kept my computer off overnight for the past 2 days to help with curing the AS5. This morning, I turn it on, every thing is fine. I leave it on, folding, like I normally do, go to my work to pick up my paycheck, come home, and find a BSOD Page Fault, except it is a little scrambled, as in there are some sort of artifacts. I restart, and same thing. Artifacts everywhere, from POST to Windows. I turn it off, back on a few hours later, and now I can't see ANYTHING. It's all a bunch of weirdass colored blocks. I had another monitor, and, thinking it was the monitor, swapped. Same blocks. Crap. So I call BFGTech, and they said that it's the card (My 5200 Ultra works fine). Thank GOD FOR THEIR LIFETIME WARRANTIES. So I got an RMA, and will be getting a replacement in a week. The guy said that "your card's fried.". I don't really buy it, since I dont see any burn marks anywhere, but then again there doesn't have to be marks to be fried. Ugh. They also said the OEM ones like the one I have were one of the "early production batches", so that may have a role in it too. I will be getting a BRAND NEW 6800 Ultra OC as a replacement, so let's hope this one doesn't die on me. I don't get it. I didn't do anything differently... I played DOOM 3 for a good 4 hours... but that's about it. No artifacts while playing that, overheating, nothing. Wonderful and stunning graphics though. Oh well.

EDIT: On the bright side, I believe that my AS5 has cured. It's @ 50 C now after folding for a few hours, which is exactly what it used to be before my RIP 3200 burned up.

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:36 am

Having a CPU burn out is pretty unlucky but graphics cards go wonky all the time. Apparently it's cheaper to accept RMA for 10% than to make sure that the things work properly in the first place.

If God wanted to get ME off the computer He would send an angel to blow in my ear.

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:55 pm

'If God wanted to get ME off the computer He would send an angel to blow in my ear.'

Quote of the day! :D :P

Do GPUs really burn off that often? I hear about HDs all the time, but not about graphic cards.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:56 pm

Yours truly has already seen two cards die on him; a 9500 nonPro L-mem (admittedly, it was softmodded and flashed to higher than 9700 Pro) and also an FX5900 for what reason I will never get to know.

Straker

Post by Straker » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:58 am

used to get funky artifacts/hard freezes with my old gf4 4400 after running in 3d for like 8 hours at a time in a ~30C room. :roll: the only annoying part was it didn't seem to directly have much to do with temps. i thought i finally killed it when the stupid cooler spun around and whacked off two caps but it still seems to work, go figure. boots into windows fine at least, haven't tried anything else since i booted with no HS at all on it.

my first x800 pro didn't burn per se, but it was really weird. the metal back plate thing was actually mounted/bent at a slight angle and offset a bit, and it had to somehow have happened in assembly, since if anyone tried to do that by hand something would have broken long before it got like that. never seen anything like it, it was bad enough that i had to flex the card a fair bit just to get a VGA connector in without the hood getting stopped by the case.