Need help on further case silencing

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Need help on further case silencing

Post by Aleksi » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:19 am

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, so I thought I would post some info about my system and how I got addicted to PC silencing.

It all started yearly this year, when after burning my motherboard, I also decided to order new case for myself. After reading reviews for Nexus Breeze and Antec Sonata, I ended taking the Sonata. After assembling my system (Antec Truepower 380S, standard Antec case fan, Barton 3000+ with Glacialtech Silent Breeze II, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 with standard cooling, 80gb IBM & 160gb Maxtor, LG DVD-burner) I was very pleased on how "silent" it was. :roll:

I keep my computer in the same room where I sleep. So, after few weeks, my girlfriend started complaining, that she had hard time sleeping with the computer on at night. So, I opened my case and started listening... Stopped the CPU and Geforce fans.... "What the hell?!? Those fans whine, snap, crackle and pop!" How didn't I notice those before?

So, I replaced the CPU-fan with a Papst 80mm 8412N/2GME (26db) and unhooked my graphics card fan. Suddenly it seemed a lot more quiet. (just so you know, my girlfriend was extremely satisfied at this point).

But, like always, you get used to the new sound level and it starts bothering you. So, I bought the Acoustipak noise dampening set. Again I was bit more happier. But after reading through this forums, I realized, that my system wasn't even quiet yet.

So, to cut the story short, my current setup has two Nexus 120mm fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust), Aerocool HT101 with the papst fan (using Speedfan to keep it off until CPU is 50C) and a Fortron FSP300-60pn. When idle or under normal load (no gaming), the computer is very quiet, almost silent. Next on the list is the HDD silencing and the PSU.

I bought the Fortron, because it cost me only 27€ and I had read so many stories about it here. The Truepower was left unmodified, because I didn't want to void the warranty... yet! Anyways, I've read about people modifying the Fortron with different fans. Mostly it seems, that you guys set it (or a quieter fan) to a fixed voltage, like 5V or 7V. But I'm really interested in switching the stock fan with a Nexus 120mm fan. The CFM would drop from 70 to 40 (at max). Because the fan is temperature controlled, the only problem is, how does the Fortron handle the "biggest" load with only 40 CFM? I've understood that a good PSU exhaust is around 35C - 40C? Or can you really draw conclusions from the exhaust temp?

Because I work in electronics myself, I have become really "scared" of modifying my PSU. I very often keep it on when I sleep or I am away. So, I don't wanna burn my house because of my silencing fetish!

-Aleksi-

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:03 pm

"(just so you know, my girlfriend was extremely satisfied at this point)."

Glad to know you are satisfying your girlfriend :P

Have a look in my sig, we have a very similar set-up. I couldn't live with those 2 Nexus fans at 12V so with fan controller I lowered them to 7V (600-650RPM).

I used to have a Ti4200 and its stock fan was'nt TOO loud but it was of a higher frequency than everything else so I just swapped it for a 9600 Pro Ultimate. WHOA just read you unhooked your graphics card fan, permanently?! You will fry your card or damage it permanently! get a Zalman BGA heatsink ASAP. If you meant only for testing then it will probably be louder than the PSU and HDs at the moment.

I have modded a PSU with a Panaflow L1A at 5V permantently but that was in a very cheap PSU in a cheap system. It's the only fan in the case but the system is low spec. I don't think I'd ever do it in my main PC though, instead I'll just be investing in the Antec Phantom somewhere down the line.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:17 pm

Actually, the Nexus fans are running @ 5V. I'm building a thermistor controlled fan controller for them, at some point. But for now, they are fixed at that voltage.

The graphics gards DOES have the Zalman heatsink ZM80D-HP. I'm running it without a fan, because the other Nexus is taking air in very close to it. Actually, I did run for a few months with just the small stock heatsink. Didn't have any problems with it. But figured, that it wouldn't be a very good option.

Sorry, should have posted the above things in my first post.

Anyways, I ordered yesterday a Papst 4412 F/2 GL for the PSU. That drops the stock CFM from 70 to 55 at max. That felt like a bit more safe approach to start with. Really worried about burning my house with my little mods :wink: Especially when I run it 24/7.