Completly fanless with passive cooling... Is my config okay?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cche0691

Completly fanless with passive cooling... Is my config okay?

Post by cche0691 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:51 pm

Hi my next project plan is to build up a completly silent machine with components with lowest power draw, fast enough for current applications and using passive cooling without fan completly... My choice are

VIA C3 1.2AGhz
Gigabyte GA-6VTXE
512MB Micron PC133 SDRAM
40GB Seagate Barracuda 6
pioneer 108d
Aopen FX5200 128MB video card
Antec Phantom 350W

Cooling components:
Lian Li PC-6087 case (Case fan all remove)
Zalman CNPS-6000CU cpu heatsink
Zalman NB32J nothbridge heatsink
Zalman ZH80C-HP graphic card heatsink
Zalman harddisk heatpipe cooler
RAM heatsink (Haven't decide which brand)

So do you think is it possible? Please advice me any recommendation thx ;)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:07 am

I have a simple question: How is the heat ever going to leave your system?

All fanless VIA C3 1GHz or 1,2GHz solutions I know have some heatpipe + large external heatsink. The tiny blowhole in your case will never be enough to passively remove the heat from all components. Especially in a hot Australian summer.

cche0691

Post by cche0691 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:01 am

That's why i choose Lian-Li all aluminium case. I hope the case will help me to transfer the heat out...

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:04 am

As a Lian-Li user (not a 6087 though), I think your hope on having the case work as a big fanless heatsink may be a bit too high.

This is even more so for Lian-Li 6087 with its side window (one less side of case for convection-according to your plan) and its full length front glass/acrylic :?: cover which restricted airflow - assuming all hot air inside case rise by itself through the top blowhole and sucking cooler air in :wink:.

All the heatsink/heatpipe you'd like to put in also require certain level of airflow to transfer heat out of its surface to be efficient.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:07 am

Ah, you believe in the "aluminium cases cool better" myth.

That will only work if you transfer the heat directly into the case using heatpipes or blocks of aluminium. Using case air as an intermediary won't work, since air is to much of an isolator.

The simplest way would be to stick to a case with just one slow turning 120mm fan.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:06 pm

cche0691 wrote:I hope the case will help me to transfer the heat out...
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Aluminum case construction will do absolutely nothing for cooling and will actually make for a louder system than a typical steel case. The aluminum resonates.

There's been plenty of posts about this over the years. Run a little search and read some of the threads.

KnightRT

Post by KnightRT » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:32 am

That'll work. I wouldn't be surprised to see an ambient case temperature of 150 F, but it'll work.

A single case fan would do wonderful things for the lifespan of your components. A reasonably sized model at some ridiculously low RPM would be silent within the confines of ambient noise from almost any distance.

DI

nici

Post by nici » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:08 am

How about this Yesico case? Its got mesh side panels, front panel and top :shock: It doesnt look bad either :) www.yesico.de