Help a newbie silence his system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

roo

Help a newbie silence his system

Post by roo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:53 pm

ok, so maybe i'm not that much of a newbie :)

here's what my system look like:

- Asus A7N8X rev1.04 (fanless south/north bridges)
- PNY Quadro NVS280AGP (fanless!)
- Antec PLUS660AMG (discontinued, http://www.antec.com/us/support_product ... odID=90662 )
- Antec TruePower 330W
- Acer 16X DVD-ROM
- Seagate Barracuda IV 7200rpm, 80Gb
- AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Thoroughbred w/ Volcano fan (w/rheostat)

Pretty minimalistic configuration...
The component producing the most noise is the power supply, followed by the volcano fan (though very subtle when running @ 1500 rpm).

Any suggestions?
thanks
marc

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:06 am

Umm PSU/PSU fan swap and Heatsink/HS fan swap? :idea:

I think you know what needs done. HD suspension?

roo

Post by roo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:41 pm

Jordan: hehe yes, just wondering which one i should get.
If I can get undervolt the cpu and go fanless, that would be really nice. Also, how about the antec phantom as psu?

Heat evacuation issues will surely come up... is there a workaround?
thanks,
marc

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:39 pm

The Phantom is fantastic but you really need decent airflow for any fanless PSU. A slow spinning read exhaust should be minimum.

I'm no fan of ondervolting to the point of fanless operation, it's just way too much of a performance loss. I have a Celeron 666MHz that runs fanless, I'd rather use that than reduce my Mobile XP to the performance of something I could buy for $5 on eBay.

I prefer to run a fan that is inaudible outside of the case at least. I mean what's the difference other than temps?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:43 am

Jordan wrote:I'm no fan of ondervolting to the point of fanless operation, it's just way too much of a performance loss.
??

The way I undervolt is to run the CPU at it's default speed and lower the voltage to it's lowest possible stable setting. This gives you 100% of the CPU's performance while allowing it to run cooler.

roo

Post by roo » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:08 am

i'll try undervolting, i will let you know how it goes... maybe in a few days because i'm in my exam period :)

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:33 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Jordan wrote:I'm no fan of ondervolting to the point of fanless operation, it's just way too much of a performance loss.
??

The way I undervolt is to run the CPU at it's default speed and lower the voltage to it's lowest possible stable setting. This gives you 100% of the CPU's performance while allowing it to run cooler.
I'm talking about undervolting eough to run fanless wich would require underclocking too.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:41 pm

Jordan wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
??

I'm talking about undervolting eough to run fanless wich would require underclocking too.
Well, underclocking is a totally different ballgame. Gotta keep your terminology straight 'cause we can't read your mind. :)

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:42 pm

Obviously if you want to undervolt to the stage that you can run fanless with that CPU you HAVE to underclock. You couldn't undervolt that CPU enough to run fanless without underclocking it. I was going on the given that if you want to undervolt that far you would have to underclock. But yes, I should have said undercloking and undervolting.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:06 pm

Well, I didn't need five posts before I undestood what you meant ;)

roo

Post by roo » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:19 am

i tried undervolting but my bios (i use Uber 1.07, based on the official 1.07) Phoenix awardbios won't allow me.
The lowest setting for Vcore is 1.50. What to do?
thanks
marc

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:04 am

Use CrystalCPUID

roo

Post by roo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:03 pm

burcakb wrote:Use CrystalCPUID
hi burcakb,
i tried CrystalCPUID, but I'm having trouble using the software. Basically it just shows me a window with info about my processor. I've tried searching through the various menus, but vcore data can't be input anywhere. Can you point to me exactly how to proceed?

thanks

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:54 am

I'll describe from v 4.0.3.222 that I'm using but I doubt there's much difference.

Go into File->Multiplier Management Settings

Press the "Enable Voltage" button.

Now you should be able to set both CPU multiplier and the vcore supplied. CPU multipliers are open on the Athlon64, don't know if it'll work on AXP. You can also set at what load the vcore/multiplier up/down changes occur and at what speed.

Once you're done, return to the main screen and choose Function->Multiplier Management from the menu. You're all set now.

roo

Post by roo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:39 am

unfortunatly the "multiplier management settings" is grayed out.
is it locked?

roo

Post by roo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:43 pm

after a bit of research, apparently the program needs either powernow!/CnQ or longhaul in order for the multiplier management to work? is this right?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:30 am

It does require a MOBILE AthlonXP it seems.

There is a way to trick non-nForce mobos into thinking the chip is a mobile but it requires playing around with the bridges on the CPU - something I'm not too confident of doing. I'll just stick to my DFI Lanparty BIOS undervolting.