Migrating a Windows XP Installation from P4 to A64

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Migrating a Windows XP Installation from P4 to A64

Post by hmsrolst » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:44 pm

I'm in the process of switching to an A64 system and have tried without success to use the same procedure for moving a Windows installation from one Intel machine to another, i.e., using the repair option when booting from the XP CD. So far it hasn't worked. Have others been successful in doing this? If so, how? Thanks.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:27 am

I plugged in a nforce2 installation hdd into an Athlon64 board with a VIA chipset. I didn't try to "repair" anything, I just let Windows boot and detect the new hardware. It worked without problems. I did eventually reformatted the drive but that was for tweaking purposes

In fact, the opposite also worked. The VIA A64 configured hdd is still booting my nForce2 board, startup is still loading up the VIA raid utility and it's been running fine for two months now.

Both installs were SP2 though and that might make a difference.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:39 am

burcakb wrote:I plugged in a nforce2 installation hdd into an Athlon64 board with a VIA chipset. I didn't try to "repair" anything, I just let Windows boot and detect the new hardware. It worked without problems. I did eventually reformatted the drive but that was for tweaking purposes

In fact, the opposite also worked. The VIA A64 configured hdd is still booting my nForce2 board, startup is still loading up the VIA raid utility and it's been running fine for two months now.

Both installs were SP2 though and that might make a difference.
Thanks, but it seems that going between Intel and AMD is a different story. Anybody have success with that?

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:40 am

Again I will dig into my years of tech experience. Sadly I don't have good news for you. The long and the short of it is....... sometimes it works without a hitch and sometimes it don't.

In almost all cases when making a major motherboard change, meaning from different motherboard chipsets not necessaraly changing CPU brand, it is going to be recommended to reinstall your windows. Which for anyone of us out here shouldnt be but 10 mins of preperation, then a good TV show, then returning every 30mins or so to babysit windows updates or the various software installs.

wish I had better news for you.

chucuSCAD