Need help Cooling/Quieting a laptop

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kingkool68

Need help Cooling/Quieting a laptop

Post by kingkool68 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:06 pm

I have a Clevo D470W (http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/D470W.asp) that I have had for just over a year. I upgraded the RAM from 512 to 1 gig and ever since then I have been noticing the fans are going all the time. I was looking around the internet for any fans I could upgrade to but I haven't found anything. The best solution I have found is to raise the back end of my laptop 2 inches to get better circulation. I just need some advice on what I can do to get this monster laptop under control and not be so loud. These past couple of weeks I was wishing I had a desktop so I didn't have to worry about this. Any tips are welcome.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:17 am

I asked the same question in another thread but got no answer yet... I have to do the same thing, lifting the laptop by about one inch to improve circulation (it's pretty hot under). Otherwise, the temperature rises and the CPU fan starts spinning crazy. I think I have a solution... There's a notebook heatpipe cooler made by Nexus. You place it under the laptop and it cools the HDD and lower the CPU temperature with 2 heatpipes and no fan... Sounds a good solution to me, but I want to be sure before spending my money on it.

I'm also looking for better fans... I have 2 fans in mine (one for the chipset and one for the CPU)... I'm sure there are good fans around for laptops, I guess they're just a bit hard to find... Let me know if you find something... :wink: