Low noise microatx tower case?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zenith

Low noise microatx tower case?

Post by zenith » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:28 am

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on a low noise microatx case. I'm going to build a passively cooled pentium-m computer. The case I really had in mind was Chieftec DS-01B with 200W psu. I know it's is very silent since I've already built a passively cooled VIA C3 system with this case. Problem is it's getting quite impossible to get this case where I live anymore, so I'll have to look at other alternatives.

My system will consist of a pentium-m cpu, a DVD-R burner, one HD and probably a geforce 6600GT card.The last component will require most power. I'll probably modify the 6600GT sooner or later for passive cooling, though I might need to add a 80mm fan.

I'm considering the Chieftec MS-01B case. This one has a slightly better PSU with 235W. Another one is Chieftec Bravo with 250W psu. The last one will probably need to have it's fan change to fit my requirements. Another alternative could be Aopen H420, but from my experience Aopen has never had what one could call silent PSUs.

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:56 am

how about you grab the chieftec matrix, that's a solid steel case for only 40 buck shipped, no PSU, and slap on a fanless PSU and you're done. No freaking fan in the system, it might be real hot though.

zenith

Post by zenith » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:43 am

I don't know, just checked a couple of shops in my town and neither of them had the DS-01B. I'll probably end up with the Bravo case and change the fan if it's too loud.

When it comes to Chieftec Matrix, couldn't find this case either :/ It might be not that bad idea though, since then I could choose a standard ATX psu. Anyway, I need something as small as possible to avoid vibrations ( I really hate it ). Fanless PSU is probably not an option, I'll need at least one fan to get rid of the heat.

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:36 pm

it's at tiger direct but you probably passed the deal already, they had the color blue for 20 bucks, with shipping it ends up to be about 40. Now they got purple, i'm not sure if u like it, purple just isn't my color :)

zenith

Post by zenith » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:37 am

lol, purple isn't my color either :) Well, I have received confirmation that DS-01B is discontinued. I'm going to settle down for a black/silver Chieftec Bravo BS-01B with 250w PSU. I'll leave some feedback on it's silence factor later.

zenith

Post by zenith » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:13 am

My experience with the Chieftec Bravo 250 (BS-01-B) case was quite short-lived. I got the Aopen Pentium-M motherboard and a Zalman 6500-AlCu heatsink. Once I almost completed the whole setup I discovered that if you want to remove the drive cage it interefered with the heatsink. Although I only installed 1 hd the case already feeled cramped. Anyway, the PSU once turned on seemed to be really quiet.

Unfortunately, I never got as far as testing the whole setup under some load because the motherboard seemed to be defective. A red led lit up once I plugged in the power connector and the PSU made a weird noise. Same happened while testing with another PSU. In addtiton, a beeping noise under boot warned me about memory failure, but the memory is not defective.

I returned the case, and will probably buy a bigger one. Hopefully my next Aopen motherboard will work as it should.

bomba

Post by bomba » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:24 am

I built a PC for a relative in this Inwin case and was very impressed. Comes with a quiet "Powerman" full size ATX PSU which is a Forton OEM. Both sides and top are removable for cable routing and there is room for a 92mm front intake, cutting required. Hard drives may be Aphonos suspended in front of the intake and the case is equipped with a side CPU intake duct which you may find desirable for passive cooling.

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:04 pm

I'll throw in another vote for the Inwin micro-ATX cases. Accepting a regular ATX power supply is handy. I've also noticed that they now have newer versions which have a "120mm" power supply, slightly different ducting, and room for a 92mm fan in the rear. Anyway, they're worth taking a look at.

zenith

Post by zenith » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:45 am

That sounds actually pretty good, I'll keep it in mind :) I have though changed my mind and will go for a Antec midi-tower case. Don't know exactly which one, so I started another thread with some specs. I think it will be better when it comes to airflow and easier to work with.