Silent server to be on (almost) 24/7

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SweVictor

Silent server to be on (almost) 24/7

Post by SweVictor » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:00 am

Hi everybody!
How does a nice silent not-to expensive server look today? I am planning to get one pretty soon to replace my PIII500. Not that is not powerful enough, I just cant stand the noise, and also it is not very fire-proof as it is in a homemade case =). Any suggestions for the new computer would be greatly appreciated. Not too expensive, plz! Hehe...

What I will primarily run is pretty lightweight and we are not talking many users at all really. This is what I plan to run: web server, ftp server, vnc or ssh, dc++ and an internal fileserver. In the beginning I will use WXP, but I plan to use Linux in the feature.

My first thought for this one is/was VIA EPIAA. My primary reason maybe not to is that I _need_ at least 4 hdd and would be happy to be able to fit even more. Also, the case should not be too big =). Optimal would be something like Cobolt Cube (remember it?) with one part like a HTPC and the other for hdd:s...

All suggestions are real welcome, everything from which Linux distribution to use in the feature to what mb/cpu to which color for the case =)

Cheers!
/SweVictor