New motherboard make my PC noisier?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattpwill

New motherboard make my PC noisier?

Post by mattpwill » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:30 am

Will the Abit NF7-S fan make my current system noisier?

Current noise makers:

Nexus 3500 PSU
Low voltage Panaflo L1a fan

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:02 am

Just swap the fan for a passive Zlaman northbridge HS.

mattpwill

Post by mattpwill » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:20 am

Does the NF7-S v2 definately support it?

Also, would it overheat?

Thanks.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:37 am

Do you have this board yet? If not I strongly recommend tyhe DFI Infinity over it. It's just as good (if not better) than the NF7-S for overclocking even with it's passively cooled NB which comes as standard. I also liked the 4 SATA ports.

I don't see why it would overheat. The DFI Infinity, Lanparty and Asus A7N8X Dlx all have the same chipsets and overclock well and they all come with a poassive NB heatsink. Asus and DFI have a Policy of avoiding fans if possible while Abit seem to swear by them and just use them for slight overclocking gains. Just look at the new Fatal!ty boards...

mattpwill

Post by mattpwill » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:40 am

Is the Infinity nforce2 with Soundstorm? That's what I'm after (unfortunately).

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:57 am

Yip it has both. It wouldn't be able to keep up with the NF7-S or overclock as high if it wasn't nForce 2.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_produc ... MB&SITE=US

CMOS Reloaded on this board is the best feature I have ever seen! I didn't realise til I started playing with it. If i want to play a game I just boot in one profile, turn up the fans on my fan controller and voila 2.4GHz!

For everyday use I keep the Mobile XP at default speeds and voltages with all the fans at min and it's quiet.

mattpwill

Post by mattpwill » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:35 am

That is a great feature. I'm a bit of an overclocker but I'm always worried about overheating when it comes to CPUs. GPUs seem different, as they soon tell you what speed they don't like!

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:21 am

Well if you take CPU/RAM overclocking carefully it has signs too. As long as you stress test at each stage there's next to no risk. Push up the CPU a little, run a stress test, if it completes OK move on, if it crashes or reports errors go back to the previous stable settings.

It only gets risky if you try too push voltages into dangerous levels.