ASUS A8V USB Problems

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

ASUS A8V USB Problems

Post by hmsrolst » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:00 pm

My first try at an AMD system in 13 years is thwarted. I'm trying to set up an A8V-based system, did a clean install of XP Pro SP2, and I'm having two kinds of problems:

1. If I use a USB Flash drive to copy files, after one or two copies, I get a complete lockup, and I have to do a hard reboot.

2. I want to use a Gyration KB and mouse in which the transmitter for both installs in a single USB port. They seem to work fine, but if I set the LCD to power down after a period of non-use, it will wake up after a short period of non-use of about a half hour, but it won't wake up with a longer period.

The first problem with flash drives occurs whether I use the USB KB/mouse or whether I use a PS/2 KB and mouse. I've tried both the VIA and the standard USB drivers and the problems are the same either way.

EDIT: New, third USB problem--I inserted the flash drive and the system spontaneously rebooted!

If anybody has had similar problems or has ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Re: ASUS A8V USB Problems

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:14 am

hmsrolst wrote:2. I want to use a Gyration KB and mouse in which the transmitter for both installs in a single USB port. They seem to work fine, but if I set the LCD to power down after a period of non-use, it will wake up after a short period of non-use of about a half hour, but it won't wake up with a longer period.
Check Power Options, maybe XP goes to some power saving mode, and your BIOS is set not to wake up from USB devices.

About the Flash drive: Have you tried other/all USB ports?

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced-tab -> Startup and Recovery and clear the box from "Automatically restart" - maybe you'll be able to see a blue screen this way.

Cheers,

Jan

roo

Post by roo » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:44 pm

just a guess, but i'm suspecting static electricity for your problem about the computer rebooting. Is your computer sitting on carpet? If so, put something under (I have this special mount for my computer), so it doesn't build up static electricity.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:54 am

VIA chipsets don't have a good reputation on the USB front.
I would try getting the latest BIOS update from the Asus website and getting the latest version of whatever motherboard chipset drivers are required from the VIA website.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:04 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. I've found a number of items on various forums, suggesting problems between the A8V and the G550 I've been using. Since my Windows installation now won't boot, I'll try a clean install with a different video card and see what happens.