thermistor fans

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

thermistor fans

Post by ryboto » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:53 pm

I was just curious....how advisable is it to snip the thermistors off?? i've noticed a definite speed decrease in my fans if i cut the darn things away. So slow that my monitoring program can't read the speeds. i was just curious, since i did this, should I keep an eye on my temps?? I did some modification with the psu too...probably gonna kick myself for it, but i've got a spare $100 if i need to get a new one. With the thermistor cut, the psu's air still feels only slightly warm, and there's still a good amount of air coming out.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:00 am

It all depends how the thermistor is used in the control circuit. It will drive the fan to max. speed if the thermistor is either disconnected or short-circuited. You need to short the thermistor leads if you want the fan to spin faster with 12V. You could then use an external fan controller (like Zalman Fan Mate) to slow the fan.

You'll be safe, if the fans still start reliably. Just monitor those temps; if they get too high, you need to do what I described above to make the fans spin faster.

Cheers,

Jan

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:24 am

Jan Kivar wrote:It all depends how the thermistor is used in the control circuit. It will drive the fan to max. speed if the thermistor is either disconnected or short-circuited. You need to short the thermistor leads if you want the fan to spin faster with 12V. You could then use an external fan controller (like Zalman Fan Mate) to slow the fan.

You'll be safe, if the fans still start reliably. Just monitor those temps; if they get too high, you need to do what I described above to make the fans spin faster.

Cheers,

Jan
yea...I was thinking about getting a switch or two and solder it to the wires where the thermistors were, or I could go with a fan controller.. or the switch +fanmate. I'll check out the prices.