Antec Aria / Pentium-M as an HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dskeeles

Antec Aria / Pentium-M as an HTPC

Post by dskeeles » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:17 am

Hi All,

I've been working on building an HTPC for some time now... I wanted to get it right first time, hence why I've looked at every case in existance! My use profile is really

1. Running MCE2005 or Showshifter, as PVR/HiFi/DAB/HTPC player,
2. Running 24/7 as a web/file-server (low loading)
3. Intermittent use as web browser, etc. on a second TFT screen
4. Occasional gaming
5. Central node for future home stuff: Bluetooth, Zigbee, Smartdisplay, etc.

It'll also be sat under the TV, hence should look the part - ideally HTPC profile as opposed to SFF. And of course, it should be quiet! At least, under low loading and PVR use (my Nebula DigiTV card has on-board MPEG2) - I don't mind if it ramps up when converting files or playing games. And finally, it should be futureproof, since system building isn't my main hobby.

Anyway... I had narrowed down to Shuttle's SB81P or SN95G5 as futureproof systems, but couldn't escape the fact that they're not quiet. So, I started again. This time, I'm leaning towards a Pentium-M mATX - not quite as expandable as the latest 915 mobos, but not bad.

So, I'm currently looking at:

Antec Aria case
AOpen i855 GMEm-LFS mobo
Pentium-M 1.6GHz CPU, passively-cooled (new heatsink...)
Sapphire/Connect3D ATI Radeon 9600 passively-cooled AGP card
2x512Gb PC2700 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 120Gb HDD
WD 120Gb IDE HDD
Nebula Electronics DigiTV PCI card
NEC 2500 DVD-+RW (Black)
Logitech DiNovo keyboard

(I bought the IDE HDD, DigiTV and DVD-RW ages ago in preparation for the system!)

I'd REALLY prefer an HTPC case - my shelves are only 13cm high, so the Aria wouldn't fit... however, it has space for the 3 PCI and 3 HDDs, which most such cases don't, and the card reader is very handy. Most HTPC cases out there are pretty restrictive on these, and/or have cheap construction: the Aria should give futureproofing in the standard mobo support and PCI/HDD slots for any new modules.

But this is the problem: the Aria is well documented for it's Heat buildup problems. Now: I've chosen the Pentium-M and passive GPU for their quietness and moderate heat output. However - what heat they do put out, still remains inside the case! The passive heatsinks don't help in this respect, and if I add more fans, it's back to square one. I'm not sure if anyone's made a Shuttle-style CPU heatpipe solution for the Aria yet, but it's not worth much with the Pentium-M anyway...

So.. I was just wondering, if anyone's built a similar system to this, and whether they find heat buildup to still be a problem with the 'low-spec' system?

Also (a long shot) - does anyone know how these compare to the high-spec Shuttles for sound output? The Shuttles tend to have far better airflow, and control sound by their various high-spec coolers...

Thanks!!!

Damian

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:25 am

Do you already have the Antec Aria or have your heart set on it? If you're willing to go with another case, I'd take a good long look at Silverstone's cases.

One Day When I Have Money™, I'm going to get a very similar setup to what you've described except with a different tuner card, hard drive, and case. For the case, I was going to get the Silverstone LC11B. Since I don't have it or the Aria, I can't tell you about the heat performance of either of them. But Silverstone has done a pretty good job with both the LC01 and LC04, which received good reviews here. I'd expect a reasonable job on the LC11 as well.

dskeeles

Post by dskeeles » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:15 pm

Coinidentally, the LC11 silver is actually my second choice... it does seem suited or the HTPC role. The only things that put me off are the lack of card reader, having one less PCI slot, and the chances that it'd be less suitable if I upgrade (upside-down Mobo may cause problems when trying to hang a heatsink from an upside-down Athlon!)

And the Aria really is so damn cool!

What boxes are other people putting their Pentium-M mobos in?

Damian

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:17 pm

Due to their costs, I don't think there are that many owners. I'm not an owner myself. Just a drooler. :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:51 pm

Forget the Aria. That PSU ramps too much to do justice to a board & CPU so potentially cool & quiet. The ST11 is nicer looking IMO and needs some work, but it's got potential.