New to PC Cooling, and a few questions...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Captain_Sparky

New to PC Cooling, and a few questions...

Post by Captain_Sparky » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:54 am

I've just built a - mostly - new PC with the help of a friend, and I have a few questions about cooling.

My temps are:

PWU: 27-30c
CPU: 30-33c idling, 50-54c 100% load
HD0: 38-41c idling

I would appreciate any advice on what I need to cool down, and how to do it quietly on a tight budget :(

Thanks!

Specs:

Athlon XP 2000+ (not O/C)
Abit KV7-V Motherboard with 512Mb DDR RAM
Asus Geforce 4 MX 420 64Mb DDR
Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1
Seagate ST3120022A 120Gb

Cooling:

Akasa AK-785SE CPU Cooler (no thermal compound used)
Standard no-frills PC Case.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:54 pm

I could use the answer to that question too.

As far as I can tell, nothing you've listed needs to be cooled down any further. Perhaps the hard drive, but to be perfectly honest, 38-41C is a perfectly normal temperature.

By the way, WELCOME TO SPCR

Captain_Sparky

Post by Captain_Sparky » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:12 pm

Thank you :)

Your probably right, though I'd like to keep below 50c.

I might just order a beefier CPU Cooler (my existing 1 is for XP2100+ CPU's, I understand something like a XP3200+ CPU Cooler basically has a better HS) and a case Fan, better airflow might knock the HD temp down a notch.

Now to find cooling that doesn't sound like a jet taking off...

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:29 pm

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!!!
(no thermal compound used)
That's a No-No. VERY bad idea, despite your wonderful temps.

Since your temps are pretty good, what you're asking is probably how to quieten the thing down. For that however, we need a bit more info. Pics of your case would say a thousand words. Case is a vital component, the innards pretty much dictate your cooling & silencing strategy.

Captain_Sparky

Post by Captain_Sparky » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Aaargh? :shock:

I find the pre-applied thermal pad most Coolers have just about adequate - unless its a gaming PC.

My PC Case... Hmm, no cam, but its about 2.5 years old, chunky, no ventilation at the front or room for HD bay fans, etc :(

ckolivas

Temperatures are fine

Post by ckolivas » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:45 pm

Your temperatures are all well within normal limits. You don't need to cool anything any more. However you can definitely make them quieter at the same adequate temperatures. Probably your cpu cooler followed by your power supply are making the most noise at the moment.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:01 pm

Hello:

The HD temps are really the only possible issue -- they are idle, you say -- what about after a defrag? The best way to cool *all* of them down, but especially the HD, is to snip out the fan grills; front and rear. If you don't have a front fan then it is even more important -- especially in a no-name run o' the mill case. And snipping is essentially free; save the cost of a good pair of snips, which is maybe $20?

Good air flow is king, and if it is good enough, then you can run the fans slower -- and therefore quieter, and still mantain good temps.

For example, my CPU is 44C (while Folding) and the HD is idling at only 30C. AFAICT, the case is either 30C or (-)32C? (SpeedFan is a little cryptic...) The room temp is low this time of year, 67-68F or about 20C. So the case is roughly 10C warmer than the room, the CPU is 14C warmer than the case, adn the HD is roughly the same as the case. (See my sig for spec's.)

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:39 pm

OK, so you have the thermal pad - I was wondering how you got so nice temps with NO interface material !!!. Thermal pads aren't really efficient and every one I used deteriorated after about 6 months. Investing in some Arctic Silver 5 is very much advised.

Neil's advice is very good. Most "standard" cases have lousy exhausts and even worse intakes. Tin snips usually works wonders - both on airflow AND on noise.