Silence my LCD

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Silence my LCD

Post by Sizzle » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:46 pm

:?:
Well, I got my Antec 3000B system with a Antec Phantom, 7v'd Papst 120 fans, Acoustipack, XP120, Samsun hd's with Nidec motors and my system is very, very quiet. However, my Sony LCD is quite LOUD.

I have a Sony SMD-P232b monitor found here.

I got this before I got into pc silence. Anyway, while it's a fantastic monitor, it has cooling fans that kick in when the pc is displaying to it. Needless to say, they are loud fans. It's air noise, not motor noise. Any suggestions for trying to silence this. Considering the price of the monitor, I am apprehensive to open it up and check out the fans. Maybe trying to dampen the rear of the monitor? Though that'd make for a warmer display then.[/url]

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:29 am

Curious - fans in a monitor! And a TFT at that - definately something I have never heard of, even in CRTs which are much higher power.

My instinct would be to remove the fan(s): obviously your warranty goes with them. Some things to check: what is your ambient temp compared to the max temp spec for the screen? (If your ambient is around 20 and the max temp spec around 45 then you have some headroom to survive the fan removal.) Also, presumably there are intake and exhaust grills - can you open these some more to increase natural convection? Next - what is the power rating of the thing? Most are around 40W which is no big deal for cooling? Last, does it have internal or external (brick) psu? The fans may be for an internal psu and removing those is more risky (but still worth a shot) - any options to use a brick and feed +18V or something? Or else the serious mod to move the psu to your own brick!

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:56 am

I am not sure how far you are going to get not wanting to crack the sucker open and fiddle with it. The easiest thing I can think of is to rig a papst or a panaflo fan up to blow over the intake grills of the LCDs fans. Just run a long power run from your case.

If you want to fiddle. I would cut the grills out 1st on the LCD. Then I would see what size and type the fans are and attempt to locate and replace them with quieter fans.

chucuSCAD