Sonata with Acustipack - Opinions?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rickshobbies

Sonata with Acustipack - Opinions?

Post by rickshobbies » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:33 am

I have just completed putting together a system using a Sonata case and I was wondering if any of you have tried the Acustipack custom cut dampening kit with it. I am interested to know if would be worth while to install in the following system:

- P4 3.06 w/ Zalman 7000 stock fan running in silent mode
- 6800GT OC
- Sonata case with stock 120mm fan
- Antec TruePower 550
- Seagate 120GB Baracuda 7200RPM
- LiteOn DVD burner
- Audigy 2zx

I would prefer not to cut anything up with the case at this time, but rather look to simple "bolt on" methods of improving cooling and case noise to start with.

I am fairly happy with the noise level now, but it can always be quieter :D I would just like to try the easy bolt-on "quick and sure wins" for now!

So, how about the Acustipack custom Sonata kit? Would it really help much for the cost?

Regards,

Rick

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:35 pm

I haven't used the Acoustipack but the Sonata case benefits greatly from any sort of sound-absorbing foam. For some reason, the insides greatly amplify the noise of any harddisk or air whoosh. And the door panel has a tendency to vibrate. Even cheap packaging foam makes a serious difference.

I'm sure others will comment on the precise Acoustipack difference.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:55 pm

The Acoustipak would work, but you might be better off spending that money on a quieter PSU and case fan. IIRC, the Acoustipak is around US$80.

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:26 pm

Can't speak to the PSU, but definitely look to Nexus for a 120mm fan replacement. you've got a similar setup to mine, just run the Zalman as low as the fanmate will take it, the 3.06 staus below 50 running at 100% in my 22 C ambient.

rickshobbies

Post by rickshobbies » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:27 pm

I am waiting for the Antec Phantom 500, then I will swap out the PSU.

I am game for replacing the 120mm case fan. Maybe the Panaflo? The "L" designation is the low speed variety, right? Would I still connect it to the power supply "fan only" connector?

It sounds like right now, I would do that and some sound dampening material. It seems like it would make the biggest difference on the door, top and front bezel. Don't all those foam blocks they give you block airflow?

Rick