Silent desktops - What can be recommended?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

anabellita

Post by anabellita » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:09 am

MikeC wrote:we should set up some system integrators in the EU to offer SPCR-certified quiet PCs. The distance makes it difficult but not impossible. Perhaps our EU regulars can offer likely candidates?
Has there been any follow-up on this idea? I would be absolutely thrilled! I've built my own system, thanks to this site, an then upgraded it too, but have always found myself with a relatively cluncy and not-so-stable result... I'm so fed up with spending so much time on my PC, I've been thinking about getting a laptop, jooking it up to a real monitor and a real keyboard, and get over with it. Of course, that would mean throwing away a lot of invested money (what would I do with my current system?) and giving up on future upgrades. :roll:

Only yesterday, I was thinking, if only SPCR had a certified partner in Europe, where I could either get a new system or take my current system for a checkup!

honestly, mike: much, much needed partnership.

unfortunately, since I'm not a tech-person, I really wouldn't know hwere to start recommending... except that I'd suggest avoiding the UK and Scandinavia, where everything is usually more expensive. Perhaps Germany or Spain would be better choices ;)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 pm

anabellita wrote:
MikeC wrote:we should set up some system integrators in the EU to offer SPCR-certified quiet PCs. The distance makes it difficult but not impossible. Perhaps our EU regulars can offer likely candidates?
Has there been any follow-up on this idea? I would be absolutely thrilled! I've built my own system, thanks to this site, an then upgraded it too, but have always found myself with a relatively cluncy and not-so-stable result... I'm so fed up with spending so much time on my PC, I've been thinking about getting a laptop, jooking it up to a real monitor and a real keyboard, and get over with it. Of course, that would mean throwing away a lot of invested money (what would I do with my current system?) and giving up on future upgrades. :roll:

Only yesterday, I was thinking, if only SPCR had a certified partner in Europe, where I could either get a new system or take my current system for a checkup!

honestly, mike: much, much needed partnership.

unfortunately, since I'm not a tech-person, I really wouldn't know hwere to start recommending... except that I'd suggest avoiding the UK and Scandinavia, where everything is usually more expensive. Perhaps Germany or Spain would be better choices ;)
No followup, unfortunately. I have a couple of German contacts in the industry -- but not in a system integrator. Like I posted earlier, I need recommendations from people in the know on that side... and maybe an intro too.

anabellita

Post by anabellita » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:56 pm

good luck then! :D

...I'll keep hoping ;)

Egsise

Re: Could this be the quietest pre built system to date?

Post by Egsise » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:56 pm

mw01908 wrote:Hi guys

Has anyone seen the Fujitsu-Siemens ESPRIMO P5925?

It claims noise specs of 17dBA !! with CPU 90% load (Blue angel
requirement). A weighted sound power level Lwad (in B) /
Workplace related A-weighted sound
pressure level LpAm (in dB(A)), (bystander
position) (ISO9296

I'm thinking of buying one but I just can't quite believe these specs, aren't these figures claimed quieter than even the SPCR designed systems? PC pro magazine did a review of it and they measured 23dBA. Can we trust these specs?

Even the quietest Dell machines only say 23dBA at idle in the specs.

Opinions/advice please would be great.
Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo P5925 (Core 2 Duo E8400, 2 GB, 160 GB, Win Vista Business & WinXP) + Asus EN8600GT TOP 256MB factory oc'd.

I'm very satisfied for this combo.
6k points 3Dmark06, quiet, Fujitsu comes with 3y onsite warranty, Asus is with 3y normal warranty.

Of course the graphics card is not quiet at full load, it is louder than the rest of the system so maybe it would be wise to use Asus 8600gt Silent 256mb Fanless card instead.

Anna Johansson

Post by Anna Johansson » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm here again. I haven't had the time yet to visit Pyrotech. I will start a new job monday. Will be interestning to see what they geared up comupterwise. //Anna

johnk

Re: Could this be the quietest pre built system to date?

Post by johnk » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:40 am

Egsise wrote:Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo P5925 (Core 2 Duo E8400, 2 GB, 160 GB, Win Vista Business & WinXP) + Asus EN8600GT TOP 256MB factory oc'd.

I'm very satisfied for this combo.
6k points 3Dmark06, quiet, Fujitsu comes with 3y onsite warranty, Asus is with 3y normal warranty.

Of course the graphics card is not quiet at full load, it is louder than the rest of the system so maybe it would be wise to use Asus 8600gt Silent 256mb Fanless card instead.
Egsise -- I am also considering the Fujitsu P5925. Did you try running it without the 8600gt? If so, what were noise levels like?

Egsise

Post by Egsise » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:36 pm

Yes I tried without the 8600GT, didn't measure the noise level but it was ermm, quiet. :?

With rivatuner I dropped 8600GT fan to 25% and the 8600GT temperature stays under 60°C in normal office use, 5 meters from the computer I can hardly hear the fans.

Egsise

Post by Egsise » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:56 am

Egsise wrote:Yes I tried without the 8600GT, didn't measure the noise level but it was ermm, quiet. :?

With rivatuner I dropped 8600GT fan to 25% and the 8600GT temperature stays under 60°C in normal office use, 5 meters from the computer I can hardly hear the fans.
That opininion was a load of ****, it was my external HDD that was making the noise..(humming)

mehimu

Re: Silent desktops - What can be recommended?

Post by mehimu » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:03 am

Nice discussion, helped me, thanks a lot

mehimu

Post by mehimu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:45 pm

Dear Anna Johansson, You should chhose parts based on your working types. For example, if you like and want to go ahear with graphics design, then need to buy a powerful graphics card. Hope that you'll realize. Many many thaks for your post.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:23 am

mehimu wrote:Dear Anna Johansson

Please check the relevant posting date, you're wasting SPCR bandwidth and my own spare time: thanks for your understandings. :evil: