Applying older cooling components to a new build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Monolith

Applying older cooling components to a new build

Post by Monolith » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:16 pm

I was last here in 2008 when I was getting advice for what is now my current system. (Old 2008 thread: New Build.) The system has been running very well since then, but I am now looking to do a deep upgrade to get some more substantial performance. However, some of the more basic parts that I have for the purpose of quiet computing are still working great, and I'd like to find out if I can keep using them. I'm talking about the case, fans, and CPU heatsink.

The case, an Antec Solo, is a standard ATX case, so I don't expect there to be any issues there.

The fans are a couple of 1200 RPM Scythe S-FLEX fans and a Scythe Karma PWM fan. The question I have for these is has anything changed when it comes to connecting fans to motherboards recently? I'm interested in motherboards that are able to control the fan speeds based on different internal temperature readings.

Finally, I have a really nice Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU heatsink that I'd like to keep using, but this is currently mounted on a Socket 775 motherboard, and I'm looking to upgrade to a LGA1150 (or LGA1155? or LGA2011?) socket. Is there any chance that the mounting holes are still the same, or do I just need some sort of new bracket, or will I have to get a whole new heatsink?

mkk

Re: Applying older cooling components to a new build

Post by mkk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:14 pm

You need a new set of mounting parts for the new sockets unfortunately. I don't know how easy they are to get but there are mounting kits made by Thermalright that would solve the problem, and the Ultra 120 still holds up pretty well performance-wise.

CA_Steve

Re: Applying older cooling components to a new build

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 pm

This might work.

Mobo fan control has definately improved since your last build. You can continue to use your existing fans.