Next gaming build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: Next gaming build

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:41 am

MikeC have to infect you: thanks for the update! :mrgreen:

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:28 am

Damn... naked pics =)

Thanks bro, for months i wanted to see, appropriate the time you took into getting them out, but its useful as your build fits into a lot of recommendations. And congratz on the MX100, im tempted on 512gb.... but i gotta wait some, did you feel any difference to your EVO?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:37 am

Abula wrote:did you feel any difference to your EVO?
Haven't played a Steam game, yet. I doubt there will be any discernable differences between SSDs. Load time will probably be the same and since it's Steam, the weak link is always the server connection.

sn1009

Post by sn1009 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:29 am

CA_Steve wrote: - undervolting in UEFI: reading the manual, it looks like the G45 can set the CPU voltage offset to a negative value. Waiting for feedback. This is what moved me away from the Asrock Z87 Extreme4. The Extreme6 has it, the Extreme4 doesn't.
Looking at the manual for the Z87 Extreme4 mobo I haven't been able to make out that it's unable to undervolt.
Do you remember where you came by this information?
Did it, by chance, originate from a mfgr response ?

I'm trying to narrow down my search for a Z97/H97 motherboard and this is one of the features that I'd really like to have.
Any pointers concerning where to look for this information would be great.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 am

Looking at the manual for the Z87 Extreme4 mobo I haven't been able to make out that it's unable to undervolt.
Do you remember where you came by this information?
Did it, by chance, originate from a mfgr response ?
My memory doesn't reach back that far for stuff I'm not using :D

I was unsuccessful at gathering the info and don't have a clue at how to succeed on a second try...other than a shout-out in a post to current users of the mobos you are interested in.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:36 pm

A 3.5 year followup. I'm still using this system as my primary, with just swapping out a 250GB 840 EVO to a 500GB 860 EVO for the boot drive. I've been noticing higher gfx card fan rpms and took a look at it's sensors via GPU-Z. The first pic is at idle desktop. The second is while playing WoW. WoW is not a demanding game. But, I'm seeing thermal limiting going on with GPU load at 75%, power at 62% of TDP, and fans are nearing 3000rpm.
gtx 760 idle.gif
gtx 760 thermal 1.jpg
I got around to cleaning the card (a fair bit of dust accumulation on fan blades and heatsink) as well as cleaning and reapplying thermal grease to the GPU (some Ceramique 2 I had on hand). Here's the post clean up results:
gtx 760 cleaned up idle.gif
gtx 760 cleaned up load.png
Without any curing going on, there's a 3C drop in idle temp. At load, not only is it out of thermal throttling, but temp is down to 77C with higher GPU load (99%) and 76% of TDP while fans are down to 1260rpm. Most of this is probably due to the clean up /re-apply of the grease.

Next up, the long awaited fan replacement. As soon as I get some cable adapters, I'll remove the existing shroud/fan structure and replace with two 120mm Scythe Slipstream DB PWM's to drive rpm's lower/quieter result. I opted for the ball bearing style given the horizontal placement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:21 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Next up, the long awaited fan replacement. As soon as I get some cable adapters, I'll remove the existing shroud/fan structure and replace with two 120mm Scythe Slipstream DB PWM's to drive rpm's lower/quieter result. I opted for the ball bearing style given the horizontal placement.
Interesing, i want to see how good it gets. You probably going to need a Gelid CA-PWM-02 PWM Fan Adapter Sleeved Cable Cord for VGA Cards Cooler Fan + Y PWM splitter (if you have an old noctua, usually came one on their pwm fans).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Yep. Those are the two I'd buy...but contemplating pulling out the solder iron and just building my own using the existing fan connector/cable. $12 and takes a bit more space vs "free" and custom fit.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:50 pm

I went ahead and got the adapter cables and did the mod today. Spent a fair bit of time figuring out how to mount the two 120mm fans. I fired it up...and the fans were running at their default top speed ~1350rpm. Hmm. I checked the connections and again 1350rpm. I removed the Y splitter and attached one fan directly to the gfx card adapter cable and min speed was 1000rpm. Those MSI rat bastards. :) A hard 1k minimum regardless of the fan used.

I hooked the same single fan up through the Y splitter - 1000rpm. I checked the other fan by itself - 1000rpm. I reconnected both fans via the splitter - 1350rpm. Hmm. Either the card can't drive two of these fans or having two fans with sensor pin is giving bad feedback, and the card just goes to max rpm.

Not sure about the next step. I could pull the sensor pin from one of the fan connections, but, 1k min on these 120's isn't quieter than the 1k min with the stock fans. Yeah, gaming will be quieter, but that wasn't the point. I could try the Speedfan route...

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Well.... it happen similar to me with the Accelero III and IV when i played around with the GTX780, to me it was weird, specially the PWM design, on the accelero III i never could make it work very low, but thinking it was more the design on how Accelero III was develop, Artic had a very weird PWM fans in the past. They change it on Accelero IV and i manage to get it working fine, althoght i never was able to drop below 1000rpms (if i remember correctly), i think its somewhat related to how the card was designed.

Newer cards work better though, specially since they are allowed to run at 0% PWM, on the Prolimatech MK26 when i had a MSI GTX980Ti and my current MSI GTX1080, i used thermalright fans so they cant be stopped, TY147 usually idles around 300rpms and the TY143 around 600rpms, and gradually ramp up as the the load / temperature rises.

Try the Speedfan tweaking. I still dont think its worth changing the fans on your GTX760, a GTX1050Ti would be faster and quieter. Not to mention we are getting close to the new cards GTX1180/1170 probably less than six months from seeing a GTX1160, even if its a refresh with GDDR6, the cards run very well.

PS you sneak a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, glad to see you went with samsung.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:55 am

This is more of a "last year for the card, might as well mod it" kind of project. I don't have a game that requires more horsepower at the moment. Hopefully, the mining craze will have moved to custom hardware and away from gaming GPUs by the time I really need a new card :)

I clipped the sensor pin on one of the Y splitter ends so one fan could be the master (with rpm readings) and the other a slave. Still no joy with MSI's fan controller as it stays at max rpm. So, I think the controller is the problem. I'll goof around w/ Speedfan later today.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:40 pm

The plot thickens. My MSI Z87 mobo only supports 3 voltage controlled chassis fans. I do have an Asrock Z97 Anniversary mobo sitting around that I was thinking of upgrading the current CPU and RAM to...it has one voltage controlled chassis fan header and two PWM. So, I could either:

- buy two voltage controlled 120mm fans, repeat the gpu mod, and get a 3-pin Y-splitter for the two front chassis fans, or
- swap out mobos and get a 3 way fan splitter for the three existing chassis fans. Or, a two way splitter and another PWM fan for the case rear.

Not sure which would be less work :)

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Tue May 08, 2018 5:31 am

CA_Steve wrote:I don't have a game that requires more horsepower at the moment.
I'm one year behind you with an i5-3570 / HD7850 and am sort of in the same boat: I dont NEED to upgrade anything, but the fact that Blender cant use the HD7850 (and a 10 second 1/4 HD clip takes something like 6-7 hours to render with CPU) I got to looking at 1070/1060 cards...which got me thinking maybe its just time to refresh the whole thing. I've wanted to move to something smaller than the gargantuan Antec P280 for a while but my ATX board (with no socket populated beyond the first PCIe16x) has precluded that move.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 08, 2018 6:03 am

It's really a "how much do you want to spend now" kind of problem. :)

I haven't installed the z97 board, yet. But I did remove the y-splitter and connected the fan over the big GPU heatpipe to the gfx card and the fan over the VRM area to the CPU Opt header on my Z87 board. The former runs at 1000rpm except for heavy GPU load - and then goes up to ~1200-1300rpm. The latter is tied to the CPU sensor and is ~400rpm at idle and is set for a fairly flat profile over load range. Net result is much quieter at idle and load than original MSI fans.

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 am

How have your VRM temps been on this build? Clearly the absence of a downfiring CPU cooler has been an non-issue for them, eh?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 11, 2018 8:58 am

no VRM sensor.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Just received a used MSI GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X card and am running Furmark to stress it for a bit. With a little bit of Afterburner fan profile tweaking, and 30 min of run time, the GPU temp has settled out at 68C with 800rpm fans. Ran around in WoW for a bit with Ultra settings @ 1080p..GPU loading was only 50-70%, temp stayed near 60C with fans mostly off. :) Min fan speed appears to be around 600rpm for this card.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:45 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Just received a used MSI GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X card and am running Furmark to stress it for a bit. With a little bit of Afterburner fan profile tweaking, and 30 min of run time, the GPU temp has settled out at 68C with 800rpm fans. Ran around in WoW for a bit with Ultra settings @ 1080p..GPU loading was only 50-70%, temp stayed near 60C with fans mostly off. :) Min fan speed appears to be around 600rpm for this card.
Nice Silent GPU, yea MSI is really nice with the fan curves. Do you feel better framrates than your 760?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:00 am

Have some Win 10 issues that are going to need a clean install(sigh), so frame rate #'s should be taken with grain of salt. With latest ex-pack, 760 was at 90%+ running mid-high quality levels and getting 30-50fps. 1050 Ti is 50-70% with Ultra and 40-60fps (upper end is frame rate limited...lower end probably due to the Win10 weirdness).

Ragnite_Powered

Post by Ragnite_Powered » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:34 am

I can vouch for the quality of the 1050 Ti as well, I'm playing War Thunder and Heliborne with maxed out everything with high FPS and no overheating/excessive sound or everything. I had issues with Win10 as well, reversed back to Windows 8.1, and everything was running smoothly as well. At least I didn't pay for Windows 10, because I'd be quite aggravated if I had to spend money for this garbage.