Quiet an old HP laptop

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bburk

Quiet an old HP laptop

Post by bburk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:00 pm

The fan is kicking up really loud when it does just about anything with graphics, even just watching a flash video. Obviously it needs taken apart and cleaned out. While I have it apart anyway, I am looking for any other low cost suggestions that could quiet it down more. A suggestion on a different fan to get maybe? It's an HP G60T-600 . I've had a fair bit of experience building very quiet towers, but none with laptops. thanks

Pappnaas

Re: Quiet an old HP laptop

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:02 am

I couldn't find any data of your laptop on HP pages.

In general: Fan swapping is not recommended, because laptops tend to be designed around a small thermal budget. You could try and get a spare HP fan, but you do normally have no choice because those fans are hard to come by.

If you cleaned all dust your laptop should be as silent as it gets. The fan bearings will deteriorate over time, but since you can't install a bigger/better cooler, you'll run out of options there.

You could try and find a tool like those for Lenovo laptops (tpfancontrol) which can alter the fan speeds, but be careful and watch your temps!

Putting your laptop on a laptop stand with a fan could help with cooling, but could also add some more fan noise.