Cooling fans for my computer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bichobola

Cooling fans for my computer

Post by bichobola » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:46 am

Hi, recently I moved my Workstation to the main room of my house. I'm trying to get the max silent build because now is a little noisy.
I can't use speedfan, because I use the computer with Windows and OSX, and want silent with both. So I need and automatic fan solution that works without os.
Also, the motherboard can only control PWM fans.

I'm thinking in 3x Gentle Typhoon 120mm 800rpm (2 front and 1 rear) and a Sunbeam rheosmart pci for PWM signal sync.

This is my setup:

CASE: Fractal Design R3
Capable of:
-1 rear 120mm fan
-2 front 120mm fan
-1 bottom 120mm/140mm fan
-1 side panel 120mm/140mm fan
- 2 top 120mm/140mm fan

CPU: i7 3770K (no overcloked)

CPU Cooler: be quiet DARK ROCK ADVANCED C1

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH

GRAPHICS: MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr OC 2GB GDDR5

HDD: x8 WD Raid Edition 3 500GB
SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB

Thanks in advance!!

quest_for_silence

Re: Cooling fans for my computer

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 am

Providing you have a spare 5,25 bay, you might give a look to the Scythe Kaze Server.

edh

Re: Cooling fans for my computer

Post by edh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:46 am

Have you done any testing to try and find which of your current components is loudest? It would be worth doing this just by stopping fans by hand and seeing when the loudest noises stop. Also can you do some temperature testing to see what kind of load temps you get now? It's also worth trying this for certain what ifs, like what if you run all the fans at a steady 5V.

The Sunbeam Rheosmart does look like a good idea for that many fans if you want PWM but I wouldn't personally want it taking up a drive bay - too cluttered and why would you want to adjust something thats working properly anyway? I have a simialr single channel controller from a company called PaQ and have no complaints. I would check if/hom it reports fan speeds back to the motherboard to make sure you still have useful monitoring.

I would think the graphics card cooler you have may become a bottleneck so perhaps look at getting an Accelero S1 Plus and cable tying a 120mm fan to it. You should then be able to run that fan with an adaptor from the graphics card fan header.