Quiet SFF gaming + video editing PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mmoroz

Quiet SFF gaming + video editing PC

Post by mmoroz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm building a PC for gaming (primarily) and some video editing. I'd like it to be very quiet if possible. Here's what I'm thinking to get, any comments appreciated (also, not sure which PSU and cooling system to get):

GTX 980
Core i7-4790K
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
Maximus VII Gene
Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

Care: I liked the look of Lian Li PC-V359WRX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112450, but I read its fan are noisy? A friend also suggests http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811352034 which I don't like as much from aesthetic perspective, but can certainly live with.

Thanks!

Abula

Re: Quiet SFF gaming + video editing PC

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:05 am

Welcome to SPCR!!!!

If you like Lian Li go for it, the most important thing is that you are happy with what you buy, given that its not the ideal case to build quiet, it can be done, specially if the included fans are not that great, you can always go with aftermarket.

For case fans, there are very good options out there that will match well with the Asus FanXpert2+ control, some to consider
Scythe Gentle Typhoon - 1150RPM
Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200

The Asus Maximus Gene will have FanXpert2+ that will help you keep the fans at their minimum on idle, and ramp up depending on the temperatures. Given that its a micro ATX motherboard, that will have the PCIe 16x on the first physical slot, then its important to chose a cooler that wont overlap with it. I would suggest either of the following because of its performance/price/noise
Scythe Kotetsu since its cheap and performs well for what it costs
Thermalright HR02 Macho, the new rev b comes with nickel plated pipes and the black/white TY147 fan that usually drops more than the standard grey/green TY141, so its a nice combo.

For the GPU, get a either of the following,
Asus GTX980 Strix
MSI GTX980 Gaming

For PSU, i would suggest
Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2
KINGWIN Lazer Platinum Series LZP-550

For the memory, i would go with low profile memory, i have used on Asus Maximus Gene IV and VI, and now on MSI, and many other builds, and no issues Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS4C8G3D1609ES2LX0, crosscheck that you will benefit from the 32gb on your editing, else go with 16gb kit or the 8gb kit to save some $$$. This memory is so small in height, that will allow you to place any fan on the front of the cpu cooler.

Good luck on the build,

dcunited

Post by dcunited » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:52 am

For the GPU, get a either of the following,
Asus GTX980 Strix
MSI GTX980 Gaming
I am also looking to build a quiet/silent gaming rig. I have to second mmoroz comment. What separates the ASUS and MSI gpu's is that the fans are idle until a temperature threshold is met. I believe around 60C is about the default. As for which brand is better, I would go with the MSI. I'm planning to get the 970, so this won't be exactly the same, but it might guide you. (Sorry if my post is too general, it's late and I can't really get all the specifics right now.) I'm choosing the MSI over the ASUS Strix for a few reasons: 1) the performance is consistently slightly better by a few fps and 2) it runs slightly cooler in most benchmarks I've found. However, the MSI was not as energy efficient as the Asus.

How much does a platinum PSU contribute to a silent computer?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:58 am

dcunited wrote:How much does a platinum PSU contribute to a silent computer?
Too general to give a specific answer. So, here's the general answer. Higher efficiency => less waste heat => PSU fan can run slower or PSU can be passive longer. Could you find a Gold efficiency PSU that's pretty quiet at your loads? Probably. Could you find a Platinum PSU that's loud at your loads? Probably. :D

dcunited

Post by dcunited » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:03 am

Makes sense, Thanks! It was late when I asked.