making up my mind

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: making up my mind

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri May 30, 2014 4:34 am

Abula wrote:but there are two things that i like more about the two others.

Use what you rather, Abula, however HW Monitor is as obtrusive as HWiNFo and the likes, while it's broadly recognized that RealTemp is more reliable/precise to monitor Intel CPU temp.

BTW the problem isn't to measure any CPU temp, but overcoming BIOS fan control limitations, which can be done "gratis et amore dei" using a software: any other workaround requires money.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri May 30, 2014 4:40 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Abula, however HW Monitor is as obtrusive as HWiNFo and the likes, while it's broadly recognized that RealTemp is more reliable/precise to monitor Intel CPU temp.
Point taken, things that i dont like though about real temp is that we are still on 3.7 like from a long time, while CoreTemp 0.6 release candidate was released to support Haswell CPUs and its TJMax/Mhz/load reading, etc. I honestly don't know if real temp is better or not, i can only give you my experience toward the other two, and the fact that whatever is placed on the bios reflects very well into both temp probes, specially when you reach the breakpoints established on the bios, you can exactly see when the fans ramp up, this was what i loved about this combo with the MSI motherboard. I dont use much HWmonitor, mostly just for testing like exactly for this situation, once all is setup, i remain with only CoreTemp and GPUz.

Agathon

Post by Agathon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:16 am

i have now replaced the Fractal fans with Noctua and am now using a splitter to attach it to CPU2 fan port as advised . Noise levels is now a lot better, specially that strange clicking sounds is now gone.
Fans are now at around 300 rpm, which is fine. I experimented a bit with the noctua resistors, but had problems that fans somestimes wouldnt spin up anymore at all.

Noise levels have improved significantly. When i have the window open the ambient noise is higher then the PC which is great. With closed windows i still have some noise sources to take care off it seems. Next to investigate in more details will be the GFX card.

Can you give advise on how to investigate this?

Also the case has some holes that are not covered with dust filters. What do you use to solve that?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Agathon wrote:Can you give advise on how to investigate this?

More probably that not it's the graphics card idle noise: you can easily double check it stopping any other fans (you can use paper, or toothpicks, or similar objects), it won't hurt (at idle).

Agathon wrote:Also the case has some holes that are not covered with dust filters. What do you use to solve that?

What do you mean for "holes"?