microatx mobo in atx case: missing a hole. is there a fix?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zed Lopez
*Lifetime Patron*

microatx mobo in atx case: missing a hole. is there a fix?

Post by Zed Lopez » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:04 am

Hi folks,

I've got a new MSI H61M-P31 micro-ATX board swimming in an old Antec SLK3700 ATX case. There's one problem: the case doesn't have a hole for a brass standoff for the far right (as you face the ports at the rear of the case with the case on its side) corner of the board. Since I've got a pound and a half of Mugen 4 strapped on, I don't want to turn the case vertical without locking that corner down.

There are two nearby holes courtesy of the ATX standard... is there a doohickey that could bridge those holes and provide a shallower standoff for the micro-ATX corner? (I'm not sure this could work... possibly both such a bridge's mounts and the resulting mount point would all have to be too shallow to be at all effective... but I figured you all would know if anyone did.)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: microatx mobo in atx case: missing a hole. is there a fi

Post by xan_user » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:15 am

im not aware of an aftermarket kit for that.
id just mark it, drill it, tap it and then screw in a brass standoff where you need it.

bonestonne

Re: microatx mobo in atx case: missing a hole. is there a fi

Post by bonestonne » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:33 pm

If it's that big of an issue, you can get rubber or plastic standoffs that snap into the motherboard and will level out the board.

That said, in all of the computers I've built and worked on, provided the overhang is not massive, I have never noticed a problem if I had to leave out a standoff.