Help me choose a compatible CPU fan for i5-4460

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

edgedbyz

Help me choose a compatible CPU fan for i5-4460

Post by edgedbyz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:04 am

Hello there,

New member and quite a noob, especially with hardware. Please note that anything requiring my own assembly or messing with configurations I won't do since I don't want to do any damage. I can however customize this system quite heavily *before* purchasing.

Anyway, I'm making some progress with my planned HTPC. I'm getting a pre-built one:

Intel Core i5 4460 3.2Ghz 6MB L3 Cache s1150
Arctic Alpine 11 GT CPU Cooler
Asus H81M-A LGA1150, Intel H81, DDR3 1600, PCI-E, VGA, DVI, HDMI
Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
On Board Intel HD Graphics 4600
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB SATA III
Antec NSK2480B HTPC Micro ATX Black Case With 380W PSU

This system is more than enough for what I want currently: Hook it up with 2 external HDDs (2TB each), synced, and one being portable. I'm getting it slightly overpowered in case upload speeds improve in my country and I'll be able to stream to other networks via Plex, etc..

This Arctic Alpine 11 GT fan is a little underpowered — it supports up to to 75W while my processor can go up to 84W TDP.

I've had different people recommend different stuff for me, and I will list them below. I'm open for other suggestions. I really just want something that works and is quiet *enough*, as I'm already investing more than I planned to on this :|

Below are what I'm considering, plus their prices in *my country*:

Noctua NH-L12 — $65
Scythe Shuriken Big 2 — $50
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X — $46

From some digging I found out that the total height of my case is 5.5'' (139.7mm), so I don't know how much of that will be left for the CPU fans.