Could use a sanity check of my Haswell-E builld

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jonc

Re: Could use a sanity check of my Haswell-E builld

Post by jonc » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:38 am

ziphnor wrote:I am almost 100% sure that the Corsair PSU in my build will force me to remove the HDD tray. However, i was going to do that anyway, since i will only be installing SSD's (the FT05 has two slots for SSD's behind the motherboard).
Hmm, the documentation/what I've read suggest that a 160mm depth is the maximum for a PSU in this case, but what it doesn't make clear is whether that is a total depth of 160mm, or 160mm for the body of the PSU. I'd still like to be able to have some HDDs in my build....

jonc

Post by jonc » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:17 pm

ziphnor wrote: I am almost 100% sure that the Corsair PSU in my build will force me to remove the HDD tray. However, i was going to do that anyway, since i will only be installing SSD's (the FT05 has two slots for SSD's behind the motherboard).
FWIW, I just took a bit of a longer look at the FT05 user manual, and it looks like that 160mm still leaves room for the cables coming out the bottom/modular cables to be plugged in with the HD cage still in there. While I will have a SSD, I would prefer at least one HDD for slower/bigger/longer term storage.

ziphnor

Post by ziphnor » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:49 am

jonc wrote:FWIW, I just took a bit of a longer look at the FT05 user manual, and it looks like that 160mm still leaves room for the cables coming out the bottom/modular cables to be plugged in with the HD cage still in there. While I will have a SSD, I would prefer at least one HDD for slower/bigger/longer term storage.
Yes, sorry if i wasnt clear, the Corsair that i am planning for is 180mm so will definitely block the HDD cage.

jonc

Post by jonc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Have you built this yet?

I'm looking at the FT05 + Prolimatech Genesis as well and wondering how everything fits!

jonc

Post by jonc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:00 pm

FWIW, just pulled the trigger on an FT05 based build, with a Genesis (went for some notua NF-A14s to mount on it), plus dual Strixs. I might have splurged a little :-)

So I'll let you know how I get on/how quiet it is.

ziphnor

Post by ziphnor » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:18 am

Just ordered all the parts for this a few days
jonc wrote:Have you built this yet?
The remaining parts should be showing up tomorrow. Ended going with the 840 EVO, as i got tired of waiting on the 850 EVO and the 1TB 840 EVO showed up as a black friday deal on amazon.co.uk.

jonc

Post by jonc » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:53 am

Well I've built mine now, working well. The genesis cooler fits fine (and can be fitted post motherboard installation), cabling is a bit tricky as it's quite compact behind the motherboard tray, but no complaints.

I can confirm that a 160mm PSU fits OK the HDD cage still in place (I went for a corsair AX860i for reference), athough getting some of the modular cables in post PSU + HDD install was a bit tricky, heh.

Any questions just shout.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:00 am

jonc wrote:Any questions just shout.
What RPMS are the AP181 running? or whats the lowest you have been able to drop them to?

jonc

Post by jonc » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:11 am

According to 'Fan Xpert', the slowest they go is around 500rpm at around 80% power (I presume that's 80% of 12v). They come attached to the built-in speed regulators (built into the case), but I've got them attached to a DC compatible header on my motherboard. They aren't PWM unfortunately.

They're off most of the time though, even with them both off and the noctuas on the genesis running at 240rpm, CPU's still not too warm. I've got Strix's, so at idle the only thing that's making noise are the noctuas, so it's all quiet. Overall chuffed so far. The case is solid.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:14 pm

jonc wrote:According to 'Fan Xpert', the slowest they go is around 500rpm at around 80% power (I presume that's 80% of 12v). They come attached to the built-in speed regulators (built into the case), but I've got them attached to a DC compatible header on my motherboard. They aren't PWM unfortunately.

They're off most of the time though, even with them both off and the noctuas on the genesis running at 240rpm, CPU's still not too warm. I've got Strix's, so at idle the only thing that's making noise are the noctuas, so it's all quiet. Overall chuffed so far. The case is solid.
Thanks for the feedback, specially the AP181, very close to what i have seen on mine (a TJ08-E), worth mentioning that you do get different min if you use the built in fan controller, in mine, when i set it to low i manage to get 420rpms or around, and in high around 490rpms. Either way seems very similar to mine, ill have to test once i my case arrives, but im probably going to do the swap to AP182, personally i while i do find quiet the 420rpms, at 3am i can hear the very faint wosh not anyoing but i can still hear it, i do have to test on the FT05 as there is no mesh like on my TJ08-E so might be fine, this is more me expeculating.

ziphnor

Post by ziphnor » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:31 am

Also got my build up and running, currently playing around with OC settings. I wouldnt say the case is "silent", but its *very* quiet at low fan speeds. With the 180mm fans at minimum (which seems to be just below 500rpm as also reported above), i actually think its the IB-E fans that are making most of the noise ( i cannot drop them below 600rpm or so, at least not using Asus Fan Xpert, or at least i havent figured out how ). Its a bit annoying as i dont think the CPU fans are even needed at light loads.

The FT05 seems like a really good case, but its not the easiest one to work with as has also been mentioned a few times.