Comments/Advice on mATX build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

figment

Re: Comments/Advice on mATX build

Post by figment » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:59 am

quest_for_silence wrote:I mean that: AFAIK the built in digital mixer isn't enough to mix two PC as inputs to one output (and even USB DAC/audio interfaces - like the U7 - don't work that way).
But... that's how I'm using it right now. Working on my Linux PC, the sounds from Skype/Term Bells/Flash audio are mixed into the audio from the Windows PC (music, etc). The mixer on the X-Fi sees two sound inputs: Local input (via PCIe) and Optical-In, and it outputs to one set of headphones with both sounds mixed together. The U7 works the same way.

Did I not understand what you were saying?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:29 am

figment wrote:Did I not understand what you were saying?

Probably I didn't well understand what you're looking for: I thought you want to mix the inputs on "both the PC" (I mean, whichever it is at the moment), while the way you're working now you're mixing them just on the PC which sports the X-Fi, don't you?

bbalex

Post by bbalex » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 pm

I have a Gene VII, but what is this audio input that you are speaking of? I don't see it anywhere!?! :wink:

Btw, I need to warn you that its VRM might be buzzing, depending on... well, I don't know what; highly rapid load fluctuations I guess. This might inconvenience you, or not; it's all relative to how loud the other components are, and if your case is able to hide it when it happens or not.

At idle, and low loads, it's very very quiet though (only very very faint electronic noise from some odd cap or coil from time to time, that you can only hear from close vicinity and with no fans around).

figment

Post by figment » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:01 am

bbalex wrote:I have a Gene VII, but what is this audio input that you are speaking of? I don't see it anywhere!?! :wink:
I'm not sure what wink here means. At the risk of ruining some joke: I'd be referring to the analog in connector on the SupremeFX II daughter board.
bbalex wrote:Btw, I need to warn you that its VRM might be buzzing, depending on... well, I don't know what; highly rapid load fluctuations I guess. This might inconvenience you, or not; it's all relative to how loud the other components are, and if your case is able to hide it when it happens or not.
I had read about that, however, from what I can see its only related to some specific boards in specific builds. The VII Gene is a pretty popular mATX mobo, and only a minority of people reported the buzzing. I'm hoping that good quality mains power, an active PFC UPS, a drastically overpowered Superflower PSU and a healthy dose of luck will minimize my chances of buzzing. Even then... the VRM will be next to a GTX 770, so it might just be drowned out.

In any case, the plan is to use some MDF and acoustic foam to load and stiffen the side and top panels. If it can buzz through that, then I'll request an RMA.