I'm wanting to build a mini iTX with low heat and extremely

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

easytim

I'm wanting to build a mini iTX with low heat and extremely

Post by easytim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:48 am

I have already have a ( NO FAN CPU COOLER) rated up to 80watts TDP and a no fan 400watt power supply and 1 SSD 240GB

My mother board is a ASROCK H81M-iTX - my cpu is an Intel Pentium G3420 - 3.2GHZ dual core 53Watt (LOW HEAT)

The only moving parts will be 2 fans all 300,000 hour rated fans made by Couger and a 3TB HARD DRIVE

I will be using this for a security camera 24/7 recording.

I do not want to clean it, I do not want dirt to clog power supply fan or CPU fan. It will get dirtly but the dirt will not screw things up, I hope.

I know this is weird stuff and you don't hear of request like this very often, but is there anyone here that can put a better spin on this.

3.2GHZ - 16 GB memory - 1 SSD - 1 3TB hard drive - low power and low heat

Cistron

Re: I'm wanting to build a mini iTX with low heat and extrem

Post by Cistron » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:41 am

You might want to go directly to a passively cooled NUC. Anything with fans will eventually gunk up with dust, unless you meticulously clean the filters (which you don't seem to want to do).

edit: that said, they won't do 3TB or 16GB RAM, but 2TB (2.5" drive) and 8GB of RAM for sure.

easytim

Post by easytim » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:24 am

Thanks for the nice reply, I'll look into this.

Please look at the dust cover I'm going to be using

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:16 am

Welcome to SPCR!!!!

It really depends into how many cameras you will run and the software you will be using.

I run a camara server with Blue Iris, you can check my signature for the build, camMI. In the initial testing, i didn't have a quad core, but a pentium G3220, the Nofan95 was able to keep it under control fine with very little ventilation, with 7x 3mp cameras downgraded to 720p, lowered the FPS to 6 and the results was pretty good, around 50% load at idle for the pentium, where the cpu still manage below 50C always, with multiple camera recording it jumped to 75% very easily, and on those spikes it was on the mid 50s, i remember stressing it even with prime95 and no direct air on it, and still didnt reach above 80C, so practically it can be built fully passive, given that you case can get hot air out and not become an oven. Now this was with a NoFan95 idk what model you will be running.

The above was pure testing, i didnt know how it would really work out, but the CPU was too low for what i was intending, so decided to upgrade my main PC and moved the current 4770K to my camera server. This allow me to add an 8th camera and bump all the cameras to 1080p, but the NOFAN95C cant manage the 4770K passive, it does need some case fans to keep it under control. Even right now if i prime95 the build it will reach 90s, but this is something that BLUE IRIS has never done, usually it idles around 50C, with spikes to 60C with couple of recording, with 6 recordings i saw 65C, its very unusual to see more than 4 recording at the same time, so usually its kept in the 50s.

Now there are tons of tweaks you can do to not need a quad, like lowering the FPS, lowering the resolution, and in blue iris there is the option to do direct to disk, this makes it so the software doesn't re encode the stream, something that a lot of people use, specially for 24/7 continuous recording.

My advise is go one step at the time, build what you have atm and start checking loads on your software, tweak it to determine the idle FPS, resolution and recording, and work from there into if you need more cooling or a better cpu, or even a better case. One thing worth mentioning, is that i had to do some modding to my case to add some cooling to the hdd, not that it reached above what its rated, but in this type of builds the disk has a ton of working, so im trying to keep it as cool as possible and try to minimize failure, not something that can be done with simple temperature, but i simply didn't like the high temps the disk was reaching for 24/7 operation, so be careful if you end up fully passive, monitor the disk temps.

easytim

Post by easytim » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:52 am

I'm keeping the dirt out with two 140mm Dustproof Case PC Computer Fan Dust Filter

Thanks, I know I need a dual core,,I will be using an AMD 2.4 ghz 45watt processor. I have tried this in the past and I know it will work.
My software is AVIGILON I have a license for 8 cameras, I won't be needing more, AVIGILON is software the best in my book.

I first needed to build up a battery backup to keep the system for 8 cameras, a computer and router on-line and running. I got that working rock solid now after 2 months of testing.

When the Florida storms come the power goes on and off - on and off like crazy