Mid-range near-silent PC - Help me spot any dumb mistakes :)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sipitai

Mid-range near-silent PC - Help me spot any dumb mistakes :)

Post by sipitai » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:21 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build a mid-range near-silent PC, and just wanted a bit of feedback on my choice of parts before I click buy. It will be used for light/medium gaming, watching movies, as well as for work - which is web development - i.e. photoshop, web server, multiple web browsers (lots of tabs open), etc.

My focus here is to use passive parts, which will be cooled by the case fans - running at low RPM and speeding up when required.

I'll be reusing my old case and CPU heatsink, but everything else is getting upgraded. I'm holding onto the case because it's a DIY job that I quite like, and I'm holding onto the heatsink because it works well and all the better options don't fit the case. I've included additional details below if you're interested.

Case: DIY (see below for image)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Socket 1150
HSF: Scythe NCU-2005 (Modded for Socket 1150)
MB: Asrock H97M-Pro4
RAM: Kingston "ValueRAM" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 (KVR16N11K2/16)
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti KalmX
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB
HDD: Western Digital Green 3TB 5400RPM
PSU: Seasonic Platinum Fanless 400W
OPT: Generic DVD-RW
Fans: 2 x Scythe 120mm SlipStream 1200rpm Fans (SY1225SL12M)

- Are there any parts on this list you think I should replace with something better, quieter, or more appropriate for the job?

- Using the Asrock H97M-Pro4 in combination with the Scythe fans (3-pin), will I be able to control their speed (i.e. set a custom speed curve based on CPU temp), or to do this would I need to replace them with 4-pin PWM fans? I've read the manual and it looks like it should be ok, but if someone has first-hand experience with this MB and 3-pin fans that would be great.

- Are the Scythe fans a good choice, or are there better options? Maybe Noctua fans?

- Is the Western Digital Green 3TB a decent quiet drive, or are there better options?

That's all I can think of for now. If anyone has any feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

To provide a bit of context, the list of parts for my old system is as follows. It runs at reasonable temperatures (CPU idle 40, GPU idle 45) and without any stability issues. I'm assuming the new system should also be fine in this regard, given I've chosen parts with a TDP roughly equal to or less than the old parts. Although if you feel I'm mistaken here please let me know.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939 "Manchester"
MB: Gigabyte GA-K8NPRO-SLI
RAM: 2GB Corsair PC3200
GPU1: Gigabyte 7600 GT Silent-Pipe II
GPU2: Gigabyte 7600 GT Silent-Pipe II
HDD: 1TB Samsung 7200RPM HD103UJ
PSU: Antec Phantom 350W
DVD: BenQ DW1640
Fans: 2 x Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fans

Image:

boost

Re: Mid-range near-silent PC - Help me spot any dumb mistake

Post by boost » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:21 am

I wouldn't buy a passive PSU any more. I replaced a 460W Seasonic Fanless Platinum that shut down when gaming with a 580W BeQuiet E9 CM and I can't tell a difference in noise.
Same goes for the graphics card. I have a semi passive GTX970 card. Asus also makes a semi passive 750TI Strix.
If you must have a passive card, put fan #2 below it, otherwise it will get very hot under load.
The loudest component in my PC are the 2.5" hard drives. For a 3.5" drive I suggest decoupling.

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:45 am

The Crucial MX seems to have a bug similar to what others have have before. Personally I decided not to buy it since there's no firmware fix ATM and will go for the Intel 530 just for the 5 year warranty, tho the Samsung Evo is also appealing. Whatever SSD you get I suggest updating the firmware right away.

I'm building a new PC myself with an Asrock Z97M Pro4 which, like yours, has two 4-pin fan connectors and three 3-pins. From the scant information I found on the web it might be possible that only one of the three 3-pin connectors might support speed control. I'll be testing it next week with the CM Silencio 550 fans and an older Arctic Fan 12, all 3 pin. Only 4 pin fan for now will be the stock Intel cooler

sipitai

Post by sipitai » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:38 am

boost wrote:I wouldn't buy a passive PSU any more. Same goes for the graphics card.
Yeah I went back and forth on this one, but I've decided to go the passive route this time round. Also after posting this I managed to pick up the PSU in a clearance sale for 40% off :)

I do agree that unfortunately a lot of the time, the value for money just isn't there with passive components though.
boost wrote:If you must have a passive card, put fan #2 below it, otherwise it will get very hot under load.
My case is a custom build where a decent amount of air is drawn past the GPU. My current passive card seems to stay fairly cool, so I figured the 750 Ti shouldn't give me any problems.
boost wrote:For a 3.5" drive I suggest decoupling.
Yeah I'll be suspending the hard drive using elastic.
Lucky Luciano wrote:The Crucial MX seems to have a bug
Damn. It seems there's an issue with every SSD I settle on :(

Any thoughts on the Intel 730?
Lucky Luciano wrote:the Samsung Evo is also appealing
This was the drive I was initially interested in, but I ended up changing my mind due to slowdown issues and the fact they use TLC NAND as opposed to MLC.
Lucky Luciano wrote:I'm building a new PC myself with an Asrock Z97M Pro4
I'd be interested to know how you go setting up the fans.

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:37 am

Just a quick update on the AsRock Z97M-Pro4 board.

BIOS and the ATuning (Fan tastic fan tuning) windows app shows possible control for

-CPU Fan 1 (4-pin) and CPU Fan 2(3-pin) - same controller(percentage) for both fans
-Cha Fan 1 (4pin) - untested ( I don't have a second 4 pin fan and the cpu cooler fan cable won't reach any more)
-Cha Fan 2 (3pin)

Minimum RPM can vary, it was about 800 for a 2500 rpm fan(a really old Arctic Fan 8 ) and 600 for a 1500 rpm fan(Arctic Fan 12) but YMMV depending on the fan. I guess I could test one of the 800 rpm CM Silencio 550 fans as well.

Fan control seems to work similar on 4-pin and 3 pin. I don't hear any obvious buzzing or clicking.

ATuning, the Windows app, works like SpeedFan in that in doesn't save to BIOS but applies the settings on windows startup. So you can use it to test different settings which then you can apply in BIOS manually.

Regarding the MOBo - it has some holes on the right which don't align with any stand-offs on the case so that one inch side remains flexy and care must be taken when fitting/removing the ATX power cable.

Any thoughts on the Intel 730?
No, I've bought the 530 and this is my first SSD ever.

sipitai

Post by sipitai » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Just a quick update for anyone reading this.

As Lucky mentioned, fan control is possible. However I found if you have 3-pin fans you need to connect them to one of the 3-pin headers. When I connected the fan to CPU_FAN1 (4-pin header) I couldn't adjust the speed at all. When I connected the fan to CPU_FAN2 or CHA_FAN2 (3-pin header) I could adjust the speed from 100% down to 0%. That said the Scythe fans stopped spinning around ~20% or ~400rpm. I didn't test CHA_FAN1 (4-pin header), but I'd assume the result would be the same as for CPU_FAN1.

Again as Lucky mentioned, the controls for CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 are combined in the BIOS - i.e. you cant control them separately. Where as CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 have separate controls.

All things considered I'd be happy to recommend this motherboard for anyone who wants to be able to control 1 or 2 fans via the BIOS.

I haven't had any problems with the Scythe 120mm SlipStream 1200rpm fans, or the Western Digital Green 3TB 5400RPM hard drive.

And the Scythe NCU-2005 does a decent job of cooling the CPU.