X99 silent 4k gaming build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Taxcheat

X99 silent 4k gaming build

Post by Taxcheat » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:59 am

Inspired by the Linus-SPCR video, I'm going to convert my existing i7-920 rig into an X99 beast. My question is -- does the case have enough airflow for SLI? Here's my Newegg shopping cart, before I hit buy...

Items from existing build:
Monitor: Acer 4k Gsync, plus a Dell 1080p IPS-like monitor for general use
Case: Antec P183
PSU: Antec CP850
HDD: Samsung 850 500gb, 840 250gb; can use 2tb WD green drive for data, but maybe skip?
GPU: Asus Strix 980 (one for now)
Optical: Bluray burner

New stuff:
MB: Asus X99-A (was thinking Deluxe, but the vertical m.2 mount conflicts with cooler, I think)
CPU: 5930k (overkill, I know)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Ram: GSkill 2400 16gb (cheapest low-profile on the approved vendor list)
Boot drive: Samsung XP941 m.2

Yes, I know a 4970k is half the price of this, but I keep my builds for an average of 5-6 years. The "enthusiast" platform has served me well. I'm thinking DX12 will fly with this config, and when Skylake-E is released, I could pop in what should be a low-power/heat chip. At some point soon I'll need to go SLI or swap to Nvidia's next best offering -- 4k roughs up even the 980.

Abula

Re: X99 silent 4k gaming build

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:37 am

Taxcheat wrote:My question is -- does the case have enough airflow for SLI?
This is a very tricky question, and will depend a lot into what games.... even the detail you run them at. My R4 isnt good enough to keep 2x GTX970 quiet under heavy load (unheaven engine), but in games like LOL/WOW is good enough.
Taxcheat wrote:Acer 4k Gsync
Compare the Acer XB280HK 4K G-Sync Monitor with Acer B326HK 4K IPS Monitor
Taxcheat wrote:Items from existing buildHDD: Samsung 850 500gb, 840 250gb; can use 2tb WD green drive for data, but maybe skip?
Look into 850Evo, looks like like a top pick atm, specially for its price/performance.
Taxcheat wrote:Case: Antec P183
PSU: Antec CP850
GPU: Asus Strix 980 (one for now)
Since you are going for one gpu, iw ould stay with the P183/CP850 combo, once you buy the second i would check if the case is good enough or will you need to bump the speeds of the fans too much. Im buidling a twin GTX970 in a month or so on FT05, that should be as good as it gets for aircooling.
Taxcheat wrote:CPU: 5930k (overkill, I know)
I would go with the 5820K, unless you really going to need the 40 PCIe lanes, that most of us dont. And you can always upgrade toward a 5960X that would be a more considerable upgrade over the 5820K with more cores, once you need it.
Taxcheat wrote:Boot drive: Samsung XP941 m.2
Personally i dont see much gain into going m.2, yes it has higher bandwidth than a standard sata III ssd, but for me its extremly hard to pick between ssds in real world, my suggestion is skip it, wait for the sata express ssds in a year or two.
Taxcheat wrote:Yes, I know a 4970k is half the price of this, but I keep my builds for an average of 5-6 years. The "enthusiast" platform has served me well. I'm thinking DX12 will fly with this config, and when Skylake-E is released, I could pop in what should be a low-power/heat chip. At some point soon I'll need to go SLI or swap to Nvidia's next best offering -- 4k roughs up even the 980.
As long as you take advantage of what you are buying is fine, but personally i would prefer to ugprade more often than to try to future proof a build, a lot of good things are coming in the next few years that are not CPUs, like 20nm GPUs, PCIe 4.0, probably new formats of USB/TB, etc. From sandy bridge i have been upgrading just for the extras, the cpus bearly have improved, but there are support for much newer things, reason why i moved from 1366 platform.

Good luck with the build,

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Taxcheat wrote:My question is -- does the case have enough airflow for SLI?

With reference to GPU temps, comparatively it could be (strictly) enough. With reference to CPU temp, YMMV (particularly if you OC it).

Taxcheat

Post by Taxcheat » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Abula wrote:Since you are going for one gpu, iw ould stay with the P183/CP850 combo, once you buy the second i would check if the case is good enough or will you need to bump the speeds of the fans too much. Im buidling a twin GTX970 in a month or so on FT05, that should be as good as it gets for aircooling.
Already have the P183/CP850 from my previous build. If I were starting from scratch, I'd get something bigger for more airflow. Already have the Acer 4k Gsync, the colors are beautiful out of the box. I don't think IPS would be much of an improvement.
quest_for_silence wrote: With reference to GPU temps, comparatively it could be (strictly) enough. With reference to CPU temp, YMMV (particularly if you OC it).
I think I'll avoid overclocking for that reason. As long as I can keep the GPUs happy, I shoudn't need the extra CPU horsepower. I play stuff like BF4 and Rome 2. I got Assassins Creed Unity free with the Samsung ssd. What a horrible port... That probably won't work with Nvidia 1080Ti in SLI.
Abula wrote: a lot of good things are coming in the next few years that are not CPUs
That's exactly why I'm upgrading. The i7-920 has held its own as a cpu, but I cannot stand the Sata2 and USB2 slowness. I just tried to clone Windows 7 onto the Samsung 850, but it refused to boot despite hours and hours of troubleshooting. No problem getting my Linux partition to boot, of course. So if I'm going to the trouble of starting over by reinstalling everything, I'm going to do it with all new hardware. I will feel the difference of 2 minute boot vs. 9 second boot. And the cpu should be close to 2x faster, which is when I like to switch.