Upgrading my old pc, silent priority!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SuperMan88

Upgrading my old pc, silent priority!

Post by SuperMan88 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:08 am

Hi all,
This is my first post but I follow this site/forum since 4 years maybe.

My priorities have changed over time, I slowly left the gaming and now use the computer mainly for web surfing, office for college / work, films, p2p torrents and a light gaming sporadic. SILENT and POWER CONSUMPTION are also to keep in consideration.

My current configuration is as follows:

PSU: XFX Pro 550W
CPU: Intel Q9450 2.66 Ghz
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer Xtreme v2
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD6670 1GB Sapphire Ultimate
RAM: 2x2GB (4GB) G.Skill PC2-8800 1100MHz DDR2
Hard Disk (s): Samsung SSD 840evo + 120gb Western Digital 2TB 5900rpm 64mb cache Green Power
Case: Fractal Design R2 Black Pearl +2 Stock FAN @ 800rpm
Burner: Pioneer 215-DVK Black S-ata
Card Reader: Revoltec Procyion II

I would like to keep some items of my config and change other to upgrade system.
I would keep : PSU, VGA, HD+SSD and card reader.

So I want to change:
1) Case -> Fractal R2 is a fantastic case, but I want something smaller and silent, so I can give this to my brother.
2) CPU: maybe an intel i5 4°gen is a good choiche for overall performance
3) CPU cooler : Dunno which is best in silent/performance
4) Motherboard: I'm undecided between micro-ATX or mini-ITX
5) RAM: now a 2x4gb DDR3 kit is very cheap!

I think that 350-400€ budget is very good for this five components, but I need your help for a good template for my needs.

Thanks a lot, greetings from Italy (sorry for my bad english :wink: )

CA_Steve

Re: Upgrading my old pc, silent priority!

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:36 am

Welcome to SPCR.

I think it'll be tough to build an i5 system as requested for under 400 euros. Here's a build list without the case. There's nothing particularly demanding among your applications. Dropping to an i3 could work well and save 60 euros that you could apply toward the case.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:36 am

SuperMan88 wrote:I would keep : VGA
I would suggest to consider giving it to your brother also, the Q9950 doesnt have a GPU, and if you are not gaming, the HD4600 on i5 or i3 is more than enough for anything none gaming related, and if you game.... get a ASUS STRIX GTX750TI its a very efficient gpu that should allow you esporadic gaming and its not that expensive, it should be passive when you are not gaming, so it should not add any noise most of your time.
SuperMan88 wrote:I would keep : card reader.
This might limit you into how small you can build, specially the card reader needing a 5.25 so is the optical. I would suggest to look into Kingston USB 3.0 Memory Card Reader FCR-HS3, this would allow you to use almost any mini itx case.
SuperMan88 wrote:1) Case -> Fractal R2 is a fantastic case, but I want something smaller and silent, so I can give this to my brother.
Look into SPCR Quiet Mini-ITX Gamer Build Guide, the case is pretty nice for a mini itx build that allows for a dedicated gpu, i personally didnt like the fans, as they dont undervolt much, so i would swap them for Antec True Quiet 140s.
SuperMan88 wrote:2) CPU: maybe an intel i5 4°gen is a good choiche for overall performance
An i5 4690 would be my recommendation, or if you want to save some an i5 4460
SuperMan88 wrote:3) CPU cooler : Dunno which is best in silent/performance
Look into SPCR Scythe Kotetsu CPU Cooler: A Compact King
SuperMan88 wrote:4) Motherboard: I'm undecided between micro-ATX or mini-ITX
Look into ASUS H97I-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard or ASUS H97M-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, both are very good motherboards not so expensive and come with FanXpert2 that should allow you to control your case and cpu fans very easily. If you end up going with micro ATX, look into Silverstone PS07 case, its imo a very nice offering for its size.
SuperMan88 wrote:5) RAM: now a 2x4gb DDR3 kit is very cheap!
Ram.... whatever you like. Just try to get standard height or low profile, there is no need for tall heatspreaders for ddr3, i personally like Crucial Ballistix Sport, but really whatever you find cheaper should do the trick.

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:16 am

Guys thanks a lot, you are great! 8)

So the configuration could be this:

1) CPU&VGA -> i5-4460
2) Cpu Cooler -> Schyte Kotetsu
3) Motherboard -> ASUS H97M-Plus MicroATX or Asrock H97m Pro4 (I can save 15 euros)
4) RAM -> Crucial Ballistix sport xt 2x4gb 1600mhz ddr3

5) Last one Case -> I'm really undecided between Bitfenix Prodigy, Silverstone PS07, Fractal Node and other two cases on the guide! Which is better for silence and overall quality? I don't care about aestethic or a very good air flow, the important is that it will be very quiet because I keep my pc in my bedroom.

Really thanks again, this forum is amazing

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:09 pm

SuperMan88 wrote:Which is better for silence and overall quality?
None is kinda small, though (and some shouldn't fit the proposed mATX boards).

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:00 pm

SuperMan88 wrote: I don't care about aestethicor a very good air flow, the important is that it will be very quietbecause I keep my pc in my bedroom.
in traditional cases, id say good airflow is one of the most important features for silence.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:35 pm

SuperMan88 wrote:Guys thanks a lot, you are great! 8)

1) CPU&VGA -> i5-4460
3) Motherboard -> ASUS H97M-Plus MicroATX or Asrock H97m Pro4 (I can save 15 euros)

5) Last one Case -> I'm really undecided between Bitfenix Prodigy, Silverstone PS07, Fractal Node and other two cases on the guide! Which is better for silence and overall quality? I don't care about aestethic or a very good air flow, the important is that it will be very quiet because I keep my pc in my bedroom.

Are you sure you need a quad? there are i3 with the HD4600 like Intel Core i3-4370 3.8 GHz Desktop Haswell Processor BX80646I34370, you could even build on a fanless setup, specially since you like AsRock look into Vicotnik builds HDPLEX H1-S and ASRock mini-ITX.

Another alternative would be something like a Intel NUC D54250WYK1 Intel 4th Gen Core i5-4250U Processor and get a Streacom NC1 Fanless Chassis. Or even Akasa Euler Fanless Thin ITX Case for a mini itx setup, but this would mean you leave most of your hardware to your borther =).

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:08 am

Abula wrote:
SuperMan88 wrote:Guys thanks a lot, you are great! 8)

1) CPU&VGA -> i5-4460

Are you sure you need a quad? there are i3 with the HD4600 like Intel Core i3-4370 3.8 GHz Desktop Haswell Processor BX80646I34370, you could even build on a fanless setup, specially since you like AsRock look into Vicotnik builds HDPLEX H1-S and ASRock mini-ITX.

Another alternative would be something like a Intel NUC D54250WYK1 Intel 4th Gen Core i5-4250U Processor and get a Streacom NC1 Fanless Chassis. Or even Akasa Euler Fanless Thin ITX Case for a mini itx setup, but this would mean you leave most of your hardware to your borther =).
Actually I don't really need a quad, maybe I can save other moneys with i3-4370.
I'm studying a configuration with your advice, but can I put windows 8.1 on your last 2 builds that you posted? I need for power point presentation, office and other things for work/college, movies and youtube and a occasionally a little gaming.

The vicotnik build seems great and also a setup with NUC and Streacom NC1.. It's hard to choice a good solution with all those alternatives..

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:29 am

SuperMan88 wrote:can I put windows 8.1 on your last 2 builds that you posted? I need for power point presentation, office and other things for work/college, movies and youtube and a occasionally a little gaming.

Set aside gaming (?), those should be two viable options performance-wise, although on a noticeable lower grade.

SuperMan88 wrote:The vicotnik build seems great and also a setup with NUC and Streacom NC1.. It's hard to choice a good solution with all those alternatives..

At first glance they wouldn't seem perfectly compatible with your proposed budget: that NUC is around 350-400 in Italy, Streacoms are expensive enclosures (add another 80-100 euros on top of NUC cost: take also note the NC1 seems not available in Italy, you should buy in Germany or in another EU country), and you should add the RAM costs if I'm not wrong (so the total amount should be in excess of 500 euros).

Another possible, around 400 euros (including shipping charges) option (kinda small but upgradable and so substantially bigger than a NUC, enough quiet to stay in a bedroom, more performing than any NUC CPU) today here in Italy (prices may vary on a day by day basis with the declining euro) could be:

ASRock H97M-ITX/AC 98 euros (quote from BPM)
Intel Pentium G3258 70 euros (quote from Amazon)
Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 8GB 72 euros (quote from BPM)
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B 35 euros (quote from Alternate)
Silverstone ST30SF 59 euros (quote from Alternate)
Silverstone ML07B 69 euros (quote from Eprice)

You may spare a noticeable amount of money over those 404 euros going with a more traditional (so way bigger) cube case, like a BitFenix Phenom M or Cooltek C2/C3, reusing the XFX PSU, and sparing money on a less densely packed mATX mobo like the ASRock H97M Pro4 with a tower cooler like the proposed Scythe Kotetsu (obviously you may also think to invest those savings on a Core i5 4460, if I'm not wrong a Core i3 4370 is not well priced nowadays in Italy, I mean, too much more than a Core i3 4160).

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:59 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
SuperMan88 wrote:can I put windows 8.1 on your last 2 builds that you posted? I need for power point presentation, office and other things for work/college, movies and youtube and a occasionally a little gaming.

Set aside gaming (?), those should be two viable options performance-wise, although on a noticeable lower grade.

SuperMan88 wrote:The vicotnik build seems great and also a setup with NUC and Streacom NC1.. It's hard to choice a good solution with all those alternatives..

At first glance they wouldn't seem perfectly compatible with your proposed budget: that NUC is around 350-400 in Italy, Streacoms are expensive enclosures (add another 80-100 euros on top of NUC cost: take also note the NC1 seems not available in Italy, you should buy in Germany or in another EU country), and you should add the RAM costs if I'm not wrong (so the total amount should be in excess of 500 euros).

Another possible, around 400 euros (including shipping charges) option (kinda small but upgradable and so substantially bigger than a NUC, enough quiet to stay in a bedroom, more performing than any NUC CPU) today here in Italy (prices may vary on a day by day basis with the declining euro) could be:

ASRock H97M-ITX/AC 98 euros (quote from BPM)
Intel Pentium G3258 70 euros (quote from Amazon)
Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 8GB 72 euros (quote from BPM)
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B 35 euros (quote from Alternate)
Silverstone ST30SF 59 euros (quote from Alternate)
Silverstone ML07B 69 euros (quote from Eprice)

You may spare a noticeable amount of money over those 404 euros going with a more traditional (so way bigger) cube case, like a BitFenix Phenom M or Cooltek C2/C3, reusing the XFX PSU, and sparing money on a less densely packed mATX mobo like the ASRock H97M Pro4 with a tower cooler like the proposed Scythe Kotetsu (obviously you may also think to invest those savings on a Core i5 4460, if I'm not wrong a Core i3 4370 is not well priced nowadays in Italy, I mean, too much more than a Core i3 4160).
Thanks also to you, maybe I can try to buy used components from online market/forums. (Here in Italy there are a lot of users in pc forums) and then spend 400 euro but with much more powerful components

mehimu

Post by mehimu » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:41 pm

SuperMan88 wrote:Hi all,
This is my first post but I follow this site/forum since 4 years maybe.

My priorities have changed over time, I slowly left the gaming and now use the computer mainly for web surfing, office for college / work, films, p2p torrents and a light gaming sporadic. SILENT and POWER CONSUMPTION are also to keep in consideration.

My current configuration is as follows:

PSU: XFX Pro 550W
CPU: Intel Q9450 2.66 Ghz
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer Xtreme v2
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-Deluxe
RAM: 2x2GB (4GB) G.Skill PC2-8800 1100MHz DDR2
Hard Disk (s): Samsung SSD 840evo + 120gb Western Digital 2TB 5900rpm 64mb cache Green Power
Case: Fractal Design R2 Black Pearl +2 Stock FAN @ 800rpm
Burner: Pioneer 215-DVK Black S-ata

I would like to keep some items of my config and change other to upgrade system.
I would keep : PSU, VGA, HD+SSD and card reader.

So I want to change:
1) Case -> Fractal R2 is a fantastic case, but I want something smaller and silent, so I can give this to my brother.
2) CPU: maybe an intel i5 4°gen is a good choiche for overall performance
3) CPU cooler : Dunno which is best in silent/performance
4) Motherboard: I'm undecided between micro-ATX or mini-ITX
5) RAM: now a 2x4gb DDR3 kit is very cheap!

I think that 350-400€ budget is very good for this five components, but I need your help for a good template for my needs.

Thanks a lot, greetings from Italy (sorry for my bad english :wink: )
Many many thanks for your comment and the information you given.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:16 am

SuperMan88 wrote:maybe I can try to buy used components from online market/forums. (Here in Italy there are a lot of users in pc forums) and then spend 400 euro but with much more powerful components

Maybe: but with reference to a mITX CPU/mobo combo (so for a really small rig), frankly I doubt you can easily get a fully functional LGA 1150 Core i5 on the second hand market for a total amount of about 170 euros, any charge included.

With a mATX combo (more traditional and bigger rig), your mileage may vary, mobos can be cheap (pay attention to the relevant BIOS/UEFI) but usually not so the CPUs: ideally you should think to find out a suitable mobo for around 40-60 euros, and an Ivy Bridge Core i5 (3450,3470,3550,3570) for about 100-140 euros, but I guess you should add some charges (shipping, payment) on top of these figures.

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:11 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
SuperMan88 wrote:maybe I can try to buy used components from online market/forums. (Here in Italy there are a lot of users in pc forums) and then spend 400 euro but with much more powerful components

Maybe: but with reference to a mITX CPU/mobo combo (so for a really small rig), frankly I doubt you can easily get a fully functional LGA 1150 Core i5 on the second hand market for a total amount of about 170 euros, any charge included.

With a mATX combo (more traditional and bigger rig), your mileage may vary, mobos can be cheap (pay attention to the relevant BIOS/UEFI) but usually not so the CPUs: ideally you should think to find out a suitable mobo for around 40-60 euros, and an Ivy Bridge Core i5 (3450,3470,3550,3570) for about 100-140 euros, but I guess you should add some charges (shipping, payment) on top of these figures.
I can bring the budget to 500€, because I have some extra moneys.
With all those alternatives it's not easy to decide which is best for me.
I would try to save space and keep the noise of the system to a minimum level, for this reason a configuration with: mini-itx, i5+integrated vga, 8GB of ram, 128gb ssd and 2 terabytes of storage hard disk seems to me the best choice.
Gaming is now a distant memory and point to a good CPU with a silent quality case small enough to put on the desk seems to me the perfect choice for a long-term forecast.

So this could be my new config :

CPU : Intel i5-4460
CPU cooler : which one for silent and little space?
VGA: Integraded to CPU (and sell my HD6670)
Motherboard: AsRock B85M-ITX or similar (Which one?)
SSD: Samsung 840evo 2.5" 120gb (that I already have) or I can sell it and buy a msata.
HD: 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green (that I already have)
PSU : I can sell XFX 550w for having some extra money but which model for new?
Case: really dunno
RAM : 2x4gb crucial ballistix VLP
I really like INTEL NUC with i5 but I want a better CPU for long term use and a space for HD storage 3.5".

That's it, I'll study some configuration you've posted here and try to figure out which is best. Thanks again and have a nice day