Clearance issue?? Noctua U12S cooler in Antec Solo II case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ignatz

Clearance issue?? Noctua U12S cooler in Antec Solo II case

Post by ignatz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:18 am

I'm in the early stages of planning a new build--likely after Intel introduces Skylake later in the year.

Of course, the processor details and cooling requirements aren't clear, but I will definitely be using an Antec Solo II case.

I may want to do some moderate overclocking, so one of the coolers under consideration is the Noctua NH-U12S.

The Noctua spec sheet says that cooler is 158 mm high.

The Antec Solo II case spec sheet says the maximum acceptable cooler height is 160 mm.

That's about 1/12 of an inch. Close, but acceptable? Or too close to reliably say?

Has anyone here put that cooler in that case without issues?

Generally speaking, should I bet the farm on published specs of that type with that little margin for error?

If I knew the specs were accurate, I'd go ahead, but I hate to make that assumption and would prefer to find someone who has actually mated those 2 products. My modest Google skills didn't turn up anyone.

I've got other noticeably shorter coolers on my list also, but would like to know if the U12S is viable.

I don't want to get into any case modifications or forcing anything to fit.

Thanks for any insight.

quest_for_silence

Re: Clearance issue?? Noctua U12S cooler in Antec Solo II ca

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:37 am

ignatz wrote:That's about 1/12 of an inch. Close, but acceptable? Or too close to reliably say?
That's perfectly fine (please note that Mugen 3 which is 158mm tall).

ignatz

Re: Clearance issue?? Noctua U12S cooler in Antec Solo II ca

Post by ignatz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Luca:

Thanks for the comment and pointer to the Mugen cooler.

Ideally, I'd like to go with lower profile coolers, so I'm also considering the Noctua L12 and the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 B.

If I bought the Shuriken 2 B, I'd replace its fan with a Noctua NF-F12, which I already own.

I've poured over all the tests I can find of my candidates on this site and elsewhere and it looks like cooling performance is within 2 or 3 degrees when adjusted for the fans I'd actually use on the coolers.

At this point, I don't even know if I will be getting a K model Intel processor and overclocking at all. That depends on what the CPU lineup looks like when released.

I wish Noctua had a low profile model that used a single 120 mm fan, other than the L9i, which is a little too weak on a circa 95 watt processor. The nearest thing to a fit is the L12 dual fan model, whose 92 mm lower fan doesn't seem to add much to a single fan configuration.

So, I'm leaning toward the Big Shuriken 2 B with the Noctua NF-F12 fan, if I want a relatively low profile. I'd never do more than a moderate overclock if at all. I could use the Shuriken's included slim 120 mm PWM fan elsewhere, either as intake or exhaust.

I'm trying to avoid the heavier/bulkier coolers if I go with a full height choice---that's how the Noctua U12S came under consideration. 158 mm tall, 125 mm wide, only 71 mm deep; 755 grams with fan and no RAM overhang issues.

I'll continue to ponder and wait to see the new Skylake processors.