Recommend Case + Noctura Fans for A10-7800 build & PSU

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

eival

Recommend Case + Noctura Fans for A10-7800 build & PSU

Post by eival » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:15 pm

hey guys, you were recommended by logicalincriments as the go-to silent experts. just a FYI the APU and MOBO arent up for debate, the rest are. :D

i already have in mind on maxing out a case with all 5 fan slots (all 4-pin PWM) (-1 for the cpu heatsink) on my Asus A88X-PRO ATX FM2+ Motherboard (if you need references to its abilities) which has built-in auto controlled fan and cpu speeds

im currently upgrading from a prebuilt refurbished 5yo old Q8300 build which still gets the job done for the most part and rarely gets loud, except under heavy multitasking and video playback. choosing the 7800 because of the much lower TPD than the 7850k while still showing 1:1 performance in both gpu/cpu on various benchmark sites and plan on this build basically being a literal future proof build based on how i plan on use it and its massive upgrade from my current build.

all i need help with is optimizing its efficiency in both cooling and noise, changes based on your recommendations (within price points) are welcome

i was thinking about the Corsair Carbide Series 200R case, i dont care about frills but having filters is a MUST because of dust and it has the highest votes and praise plus its cheap.

also after i figure out the power consumption for the case fans ill want a recommendation for a Seasonic manufactured PSU (either stock or rebranded under a different company) that has an auto modulated fan speed based on consumption, most likely 300w+

im also deadset on getting Noctura fans because of their praise and having rubberized connections to reduce noise ,the stock brown colored ones are fine for me and also would take suggestions on a replacement heatsink for the AMD, as long as it comes with thermal paste preapplied and isnt ridiculously large

the idea of a CLC was very intriguing until upon research finding out that the coolant in them only lasts a few years at which point id rather spend that $70+ on 4 20$ Notura's

and for what its worth i like the idea of having a positive pressure case that forces air out of all the crevices where dust could find its way in

all advice welcome, thanks again :D

CA_Steve

Re: Recommend Case + Noctura Fans for A10-7800 build & PSU

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:59 am

Welcome to SPCR.

What are the rest of the components? Is there a discrete video card? An SSD? 10 HDDs? :)

If it's just the 45W/65W CPU plus an SSD or HDD, your stress load is in the 80-110W range. It doesn't take 5 fans to dissipate that heat. Just a couple.

eival

Post by eival » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:53 pm

nope just the APU and G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory and my current 1TB WD Black

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Ok.

The 200R could work. The 3.5" drive mounts seem flimsy. Try it with the stock fans before putting $40 worth of Noctuas in a $60 case. With your low power load, you could try it with just the input fan...dialed down as low as Fan Xpert will let it go. My go to CPU cooler is the Scythe Kotetsu - $40-45 and best in class for thermal/noise performance. A tad overkill for a 65W CPU, but you'll never hear it. A cheaper cooler inevitably leads to needing a replacement (aka quieter) fan.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:43 am

eival wrote:i was thinking about the Corsair Carbide Series 200R case, i dont care about frills but having filters is a MUST because of dust and it has the highest votes and praise

Where? About what? From who?

eival wrote:want a recommendation for a Seasonic manufactured PSU (either stock or rebranded under a different company) that has an auto modulated fan speed based on consumption, most likely 300w+

Seasonics are reliable, well performing, decently built units, but they're not the very most quiet ones (even if in your setup they will run quiet, given that you'll draw so little power).
Along with the Seasonic G-360, some modern, suitable units are the Antec True Power Classic TP-450C/TP-550C, the XFX TS 550 Gold (P1-550G-TS3X)/ XTR 550 (P1-550B-BEFX), and the EVGA SuperNOVA 550GS (220-GS-0550), in case. Personally I prefer the freshly released EVGA. If you wanna spare a few money I would recommend also the old but reliable Antec EarthWatts 380 Green, swapping its fans and driving it with your mobo (it's a great combo in my experience though it's Delta built, not Seasonic).

eival wrote:also would take suggestions on a replacement heatsink for the AMD, as long as it comes with thermal paste preapplied

As far as I know there is no one, at least, no one it would worth to buy.

eival wrote:i like the idea of having a positive pressure case

You need intakes, and fans behind them, not solid panels (like the 200R) to set up a positive pressure: a Corsair 230T would be much more suited, with a pair of 140mm fans on bottom and top to create sort of a stack effect.

eival wrote:all advice welcome, thanks again :D

About the case Antec VSP-5000, Antec P-70, probably many others.

By the way, stating a location will help any advice.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:45 am

quest_for_silence wrote:As far as I know there is no one, at least, no one it would worth to buy.
The Arctic cooling models usually have preaplied TIM. But you are right, those are not really worth buying if you can have a Kotetsu for a few bucks more.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:15 am

Pappnaas wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:As far as I know there is no one, at least, no one it would worth to buy.
The Arctic cooling models usually have preaplied TIM. But you are right, those are not really worth buying if you can have a Kotetsu for a few bucks more.

Or a few bucks less, depending of location (AC MSRP is higher). However, I actually forgot that some AC coolers have preapplied TIM (not their higher end Freezer 30, cause it is a DHT heatsink), but in that case it is not the price, but it's the mounting mechanism to scary me more: push pins (well, at least on Intel, I guess it's different on FM sockets).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:36 am

Go for an Fractal Design Define R5 & use the stock fans. That will be quieter & cooler than the case + addon fans you're considering & about the same price in the end. The R5 fans are excellent. Corsair fans sound plain bad, imo. Tonal.

Do change the stock AMD cooler for something better -- Scythe Kotetsu is an obvious choice.

As for PSUs, the G series Seasonics (G360, G450, G550) are pretty cheap & very quiet but so are lots of others. Not the Antecs -- the last Platinum from them I examined was poor for acoustics, so until I've tested their current gen, I can't recommend them.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:44 am

MikeC wrote:Not the Antecs -- the last Platinum

As far as I know they were FSP-based, not Seasonic-based (as the True Power Classics- which are Gold-rated and not Platinum - actually are).