R5 case extra intake fan front, bottom or side?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Snow

R5 case extra intake fan front, bottom or side?

Post by Snow » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:12 am

Hi guys,

Got a Fractal Design R5 case a week ago to replace my old Antec SLK3000B and very happy with it. Silent and lots of space to mod (cable management, removable cages, etc....)
If I was to add another intake fan where would I best put it in my situation? I always had a silent system but not the best airflow and that is why I bought the R5. Most important thing to note here is that my drives are currently mounted in the bottom cage so putting a fan there might blow hot air onto my other components. The drives are not performers though but cool and quiet so I don't know if this will be an issue at all.
Thanks in advance.

Specs and Images:

Case: Fractal Design R5 Titanium
Fans: 2x Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 (in and out)
PSU: Seasonic M12II Bronze Evo Edition
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 140
RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
GFX: MSI Geforce GTX760 2GB Gaming
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
HDD1: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
HDD2: Western Digital Red NAS 3TB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Re: R5 case extra intake fan front, bottom or side?

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:42 am

Unless you are currently having some thermal issues (and I don't see why you would with the components in place), you really don't need another fan. If you feel you do, place it in the front lower position. Front to back airflow is best for this case and your component list. The amount of case air temp rise from the drives is minimal.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Have a look at SPCR's guide on the Quiet ATX Gamer, R5 Version, where it states the 3rd front bottom fan produced the best results.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:39 pm

personally id just move the exhaust fan, and either make it the bottom intake or a second front intake instead, then block off the other unused intake, and call it a day.
i dont like push/pull configs. i prefer to run positive case pressure (to keep dust out of the cracks and crevices).

Snow

Post by Snow » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:56 pm

Thanks a lot for your input guys, will look into it.