Help me with build specs (webinars, media, light gaming)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cistron

Help me with build specs (webinars, media, light gaming)

Post by Cistron » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:16 am

Hi folks,

My current PC is from 2008, which, while not the oldest around here, puts it squarely into grandpa territory. Recently my HD3870 decided to shed a inductor. The replacement 8800GTX I got from my IT department does the job, but I had to bake it twice already and it's heatsink is just terribly terribly undersized. The card doesn't even clock down on desktop - I'm perplexed how nVidia got away with that...

So I jumped the gun, ate my own words (sorry Steve, I know I spit big words about not wanting to buy one in your summary thread), and ordered a MSI 960GTX Gaming yesterday.

Now I might as well get the remainder updated as well (Abit P35, E8300 Core 2 Duo).

Purpose of the PC is basically everything. Media centre (I swivel my 27 incher closer to the couch), work (webinars, podcasts, screencasts) and gaming (mostly Dota2, probably Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3, but I don't mind turning down the details on my 1440p screen).

Parts I have:
* MSI 960 GTX
* Fractal Design R3 with the bloody HDD cage removed
* 3 S-Flexes 1200 or 1600rpm version (not quite sure anymore)
* Enermax Pro82+ 385W - annoying fan replaced with an AC F12
* 128GB Crucial M4
* WD20EARS
* M-audio C400 audio USB interace for my SM57 microphone

My thoughts were
(a) to go mITX in case I want to move to a smaller case at some point
(b) Get a Devil's Canyon processor for the better TIM - alas that's only the high-end model
(c) Since I'm aiming at a K-processor I might as well go Z97
(d) I need Wifi on the motherboard

So far the parts I picked are as follows
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/fZkmHx

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.90 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£35.27 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£119.01 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£47.85 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £377.03

Will I notice (b) though? If I don't go for a Devil's Canyon processor I might as well drop the Z97 board. However, I'm a bit rusty on which boards are decent for fans and have Wifi - help! :)

Should I replace my PSU? It's not the most amazing unit, but it still works and supplies ample power for the intended build. Are the deep Haswell sleep states important to the overall power consumption? My guess is the savings probably won't amortise the cost of a new PSU.

Does RAM matter as long as it conforms to the 1.5V standard? I picked a branded 1600er version without headspreaders.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Pip-pip,
Mike

CA_Steve

Re: Help me with build specs (webinars, media, light gaming)

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:43 am

First, let me say welcome to the GTX 960 fan club. :)

I'm pressed for time, so here's a couple of quick comments.

CPU: My i5-4670K does fine for temps. I'm grumpy about the crappy TIM used, but the CPU does ok with a decent cooler. That said, there's only a few pounds difference between the 4690K and the next couple of devices down-tier.

RAM: The sweet spot for games is 1600 to 1833...game dependant. I would be adverse to going with 1600 and slower timing when for a few pounds more you can get 1600 CAS 9 or 1833 CAS 10.

mobo: whether or not you go with a Z board, stick with the '97 series. Vast improvement in DPC latency over the '87 boards (which could impact pops/clicks for audio recording). REALLY stare at the CPU cooler clearances if you go with mITX.

PSU: stress load is ~250W, call it 210W heavy gaming load. The Enermax only has 1 6-pin PEG connector, the MSI card needs 1 8-pin....

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:31 am

CA_Steve wrote:The Enermax only has 1 6-pin PEG connector, the MSI card needs 1 8-pin....

It shouldn't matter (it likely could boot even without any adapter).

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:12 am

CA_Steve wrote:First, let me say welcome to the GTX 960 fan club. :)

I'm pressed for time, so here's a couple of quick comments.

CPU: My i5-4670K does fine for temps. I'm grumpy about the crappy TIM used, but the CPU does ok with a decent cooler. That said, there's only a few pounds difference between the 4690K and the next couple of devices down-tier.

RAM: The sweet spot for games is 1600 to 1833...game dependant. I would be adverse to going with 1600 and slower timing when for a few pounds more you can get 1600 CAS 9 or 1833 CAS 10.

mobo: whether or not you go with a Z board, stick with the '97 series. Vast improvement in DPC latency over the '87 boards (which could impact pops/clicks for audio recording). REALLY stare at the CPU cooler clearances if you go with mITX.

PSU: stress load is ~250W, call it 210W heavy gaming load. The Enermax only has 1 6-pin PEG connector, the MSI card needs 1 8-pin....
Thanks.

It's a bummer, 1833 RAM without any of those useless heat spreaders is in short supply.

If anyone has suggestions for alternative mainboards, I'd be really grateful.
quest_for_silence wrote:It shouldn't matter (it likely could boot even without any adapter).
I guess so. I currently have another 6-pin-molex adapter on the PSU to feed the 8800GTX anyways.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:40 pm

The Kingston Fury series has short heatspreaders that wouldn't affect a cooler. So does the G.Skill Ares...but they look pricey on your side of the pond.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:00 am

Ahh, thanks for that Steve - 50 quid is all right! :)

Btw. would I profit from more RAM for audio production, or would 8 GB suffice. Because if I head the mITX route, I'd only have 2 slots.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:32 am

If these are just talking head webcasts, then 8GB should be fine. If you were producing music with orchestral levels of tracks/VSTs, then you would need more. You could always benchmark your existing system and see how much is being used via Task Manager.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:42 am

CA_Steve wrote:If these are just talking head webcasts, then 8GB should be fine. If you were producing music with orchestral levels of tracks/VSTs, then you would need more. You could always benchmark your existing system and see how much is being used via Task Manager.
Yeah, talking heads, presentations, etc. What I haven't tried out yet is live software audio editing. One less worry ;)

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:08 am

Well, I went full monty in the end: 4690K, Asus Z97 Pro Wifi, 8GB Kingston Fury, Scythe Mugen Max

Works without problems with the old power supply.

I've hacked my Fractal R3 a little - removed the drive cage and inset the fans on a ghetto cardboard mount.
IMG_20150606_181655.jpg
The only thing that still annoys me noise-wise is the back fan. I believe the grille causes it to whistle. So it is mostly off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:19 am

Cistron wrote:I believe the grille causes it to whistle. So it is mostly off.

You might still cut the grille and replace it with a wire one, mightn't you?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:51 am

Congrats on your build.

If you don't have pets or small children, you can just snip out the rear grill and leave it open.

I never want to see "I went the full monty" and "talking head broadcast" in the same thread ever again. ;)

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:41 am

No small children, only a small wifey. :mrgreen:

So, eventually the damn grille will go. Eventually...