Noctua D14 or 15 with Single fan?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nizr

Noctua D14 or 15 with Single fan?

Post by Nizr » Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 am

Hello everyone! Been stalking spcr for some time now, but finally got the thumb out and created an account for the forums since I have a question.

I've been reading some tests but can't really figure what would be the best performance (to noise ration ofc) between a Noctua NH-D 15 or 14 running with one fan only (in the middle of the two heat sinks.
Using two fans, I would go for another cooler, Prolimatech genesis. But one fan it is and I don't want the macho (unless someone can convince me to) it's all because if the looks of the cooler...

So, any advice or point in the right direction? Thanks!

CA_Steve

Re: Noctua D14 or 15 with Single fan?

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Are you planning to overvolt a CPU as part of an overclock? Because, otherwise, it's just a nerd question - they're all overpriced/oversized for what they need to do.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon May 18, 2015 3:01 pm

CA_Steve wrote:they're all overpriced/oversized for what they need to do.

+1: something like the Scythe Kotetsu (or the Zalman Fx70) do better with just 1 fan, but I think there are aesthetical reasons in favour of the Noctuas.

rhuebner

Post by rhuebner » Mon May 18, 2015 5:06 pm

SPCR's testing showed the NH-U14S with a consistent 1 degree advantage at all noise levels over a D15 when both use single fans, and the U14S is cheaper, lighter and less obstructive. A single fan apparently can't make full use of the D15's extra fin surface. If you're not set on Noctua, then the Scythe Kotetsu did a couple degrees better yet. But there're several pretty good coolers within like 5 degrees of each other, so unless you're really pushing for highest possible overclocks their performances are all good enough. I like Noctua's quality and silence, and went with a D14 for my last rig, but really it's overkill for my needs (who cares whether my stress temp is 70C or 73C?) so I'm switching to a U14S for my next build.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon May 18, 2015 8:36 pm

For single fan i would chose the Kotetsu, performance is really good for the money.

Now if money is no object, still perusing single fan operation, and wishing for very low rpms, i would consider the Thermalright HR22 + NF-14P Redux PWM.

Nizr

Post by Nizr » Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.

Are you planning to overvolt a CPU as part of an overclock? Because, otherwise, it's just a nerd question - they're all overpriced/oversized for what they need to do.
The nerd-factor is high with me ;) and so is the looks of this upcoming build (will do a lot of modding and have a build log etc). And I will overclock my 4790K to 4.5ghz. At synthetic testing 70degrees don't bother me, as long as it's quiet!

A single tower cooler would be nice for a change, actually be able to see the heatsinks on the motherboard would be nice!
NH-U14S, archon, true spirit 140 might do the trick. Not sure they look "meaty" enough.
Abula wrote:For single fan i would chose the Kotetsu, performance is really good for the money.

Now if money is no object, still perusing single fan operation, and wishing for very low rpms, i would consider the Thermalright HR22 + NF-14P Redux PWM.
Money is no object. The Thermalright HR22 crossed my mind, specially since I can get thermalright coolers sponsored...yet again, it's the looks of it that I'm not sure of.

So, in other words, Any of these will do with one fan, more or less a money and looks thing?
Which cooler would be The Best for cooling with one fan - noise being important (as low rpm as possible) but with money aside?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue May 19, 2015 1:22 am

Hi, Thermalright True Spirit might be worth a look too. Older 120mm fan version got a good SPCR review and the new 140mm versions come with a 300-1300rpm black and white fan.
Regards, Seb

Nizr

Post by Nizr » Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 am

SebRad wrote:Hi, Thermalright True Spirit might be worth a look too. Older 120mm fan version got a good SPCR review and the new 140mm versions come with a 300-1300rpm black and white fan.
Regards, Seb
The choice just got easier due to max height of 163mm. This removes the archon and true spirit and the kotetsu is a no go - due to looks.

Think I got it narrowed down to HR-22, NH-D14/15 or genesis. What would your choice be in a compact midi-case (cooltek/jonsbo w2) one fan at heatsink and one fan blowing out.

Off topic: do moderators have to approve all posts?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 19, 2015 8:38 am

Nizr wrote:Off topic: do moderators have to approve all posts?
The first two. So, if you have one post published and then write two more, both of the those end up in the queue.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue May 19, 2015 8:41 am

Nizr wrote:What would your choice be in a compact midi-case (cooltek/jonsbo w2) one fan at heatsink and one fan blowing out.

The U14S, or the C14.

Nizr wrote:Off topic: do moderators have to approve all posts?

Just the first ones.

Nizr

Post by Nizr » Tue May 19, 2015 8:53 am

quest_for_silence wrote: The U14S, or the C14.
It's to tall.. 165. My max is 163mm :(

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue May 19, 2015 9:07 am

Nizr wrote:

Well, I'm quite confident that at 165mm the NH-U14S will fit perfectly fine (as well as the TR Archon IB-E or the TR Silver Arrow ITX: IMO probably anything up to 168mm should fit without many hassles into the roomy W2), but that's me.

Look-wise the second best are in my opinion the Armageddon Blue Series (160mm) and the Zalman Fx70 (158mm): actually I have all those coolers and none is inferior to a single fan Kotetsu (which IMO is better looking than it looks in SPCR photos).

Nizr

Post by Nizr » Tue May 19, 2015 11:03 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Nizr wrote:

Well, I'm quite confident that at 165mm the NH-U14S will fit perfectly fine (as well as the TR Archon IB-E or the TR Silver Arrow ITX: IMO probably anything up to 168mm should fit without many hassles into the roomy W2), but that's me.

Look-wise the second best are in my opinion the Armageddon Blue Series (160mm) and the Zalman Fx70 (158mm): actually I have all those coolers and none is inferior to a single fan Kotetsu (which IMO is better looking than it looks in SPCR photos).
Do you have a W2 yourself? I got some measurements fro one over at overclock.net, stating that for once... 163mm max I actually MAX. But, I guess I will have to wait for the case to arrive and measure myself (damn delivery service Lost the case).
The coolers you mention looks nice, in their own way, however the Armageddon nor the zalman will fit the theme of this build.
IF Max height is more then 163mm I will probobley go for the TR Archon. Otherwise the vote will end up at the NH-D14... I think, maybe... Hmmmmm.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue May 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Nizr wrote:Do you have a W2 yourself?

No, I haven't that enclosure: mine was a guess based upon my experience.

On any enclosure I stumbled upon in last ten years, the actual clearance was regularly somewhat higher than the declared one (probably due to some necessary building/assembling tolerances): now Cooltek declares 163mm, and so I'm confident there should be at least an about 4-5mm margin over that (maybe something more).

Summarizing, if you wanna play absolutely safe, you have to comply to the 163mm declared value, while, with reference to me, my previous experience more than once push me to somehow brave moves: that's why I wrote "but that's me".