Case [advice] for X99 build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MG0518

Case [advice] for X99 build

Post by MG0518 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Hello,

First of all, congratulations for that very good site! :D

I'm going to buy soon new parts for a brand new build: Intel i7-5960X, Asus X99 Deluxe, single GPU (GTX 980), one SSD. I would like something not necessarily ultimately silent, but as quiet as possible. I'm planning to overclock the CPU to about 4GHz.

I'm still hesitating for the case and cooler. I would like to move to an AIO watercooling (Corsair H110GT(X), NZXT Kraken X61) as I find traditional air coolers ugly (and also hard to deal with regarding clearance).
My current target is a Fractal Design Define R5 with the radiator in front, using the 2 fans from the AIO to push air on the radiator and have 2 fans pulling air out of it, then 1 fan as exhaust. That way, I keep the moduvents in place and do not compromise noise. But I have some doubts about using this case with a 140W TDP CPU :?
Other candidates are Fractal Design Define S, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe and Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX.

Which case would you recommend please? What about AIO integration?

Thanks for your help! :)
Last edited by MG0518 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: Case [advice] for X99 build

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:18 pm

MG0518 wrote:I'm going to buy soon new parts for a brand new build: Intel i7-5960X, Asus X99 Deluxe, single GPU (GTX 980)

Apparently a 5960X with a GTX-980 would seem not well matched: why did you choose them?

MG0518 wrote:as I find ventirads ugly

...ventirads ...France?

MG0518 wrote:My current target is a Fractal Design Define R5

Why a Define, with a dual radiator AIO? It's not what SPCR did.

MG0518 wrote:Which case would you recommend please?

Personally I'd give a look to something like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:53 am

fyi - the first 2 posts are moderated...so, if you edit your first post, it goes back into the queue.

MG0518

Post by MG0518 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:30 am

Sorry for that, I wanted to change one sentence.
CA_Steve wrote:fyi - the first 2 posts are moderated...so, if you edit your first post, it goes back into the queue.

MG0518

Post by MG0518 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Apparently a 5960X with a GTX-980 would seem not well matched: why did you choose them?
I wanted a powerful CPU for my home lab and a very good GPU to drive my upcoming WQHD monitor
quest_for_silence wrote:...ventirads ...France?
Yep, fixed that, air-based CPU cooler is the correct sentence
quest_for_silence wrote:Why a Define, with a dual radiator AIO? It's not what SPCR did.
SPCR wents for Enthoo Luxe as they needed space for a custom loop (reservoir, pump, tubes) and the radiator is 360mm. The AIO is smaller, for sure less elegant but with less hassle than custom loop.
quest_for_silence wrote:Personally I'd give a look to something like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.
OK, but could you please elaborate on this?
I'm considering also the Enthoo Luxe (same chassis as Pro) as an alternative to R5, but aside the bigger volume, I was concerned by the noise since it's less insulated.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:17 pm

MG0518 wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Apparently a 5960X with a GTX-980 would seem not well matched: why did you choose them?
I wanted a powerful CPU for my home lab and a very good GPU to drive my upcoming WQHD monitor

AFAIK there are not so many applications which require 16 computational threads: on the other hand, at just 3GHz the 5960X has comparatively lower IPC than other CPUs (Haswell, Broadwell, and the upcoming Skylake), leading towards overclocking (and becoming astoundingly hot): I'd advice to check twice whether you need eight cores/sixteen threads, or not.
Set aside that, I think you know that you need a GTX980 only for gaming at 2560x1440 (I mean, not to just drive the monitor).

MG0518 wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Why a Define, with a dual radiator AIO? It's not what SPCR did.
SPCR wents for Enthoo Luxe as they needed space for a custom loop (reservoir, pump, tubes) and the radiator is 360mm. The AIO is smaller, for sure less elegant but with less hassle than custom loop.

The R5 seems still not well suited to host a 280mm radiator on the front, it shouldn't properly align, you may look for some information checking some recent posts by suchageek here and there.

MG0518 wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Personally I'd give a look to something like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.
OK, but could you please elaborate on this?

I agree with SPCR that probably the most convenient way to run a dual radiator cooler is bolting it to the top panel, and the Pro has room for a 280mm on that.
Moreover it sports a more unrestricted front panel which come handy to feed air to a 5960X and a GTX 980, two things which become blazingly hot when oc'ed.
Last but not least, it's well built and usually in Europe it is relatively well-priced.

MG0518 wrote:I was concerned by the noise since it's less insulated.

IMHO "noise insulation" is sort of a myth: picking parts which emit the least amount of noise matters more.
Moreover IMHO it's counterproductive mating a restrictive enclosure with hot hardware: under load they will likely scream, gasping for (more fresh) air.