Silent Game Development/Software Development Rig

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KidNimbus

Silent Game Development/Software Development Rig

Post by KidNimbus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:18 am

Hey guys, (I'm new here!) I've been trying to wrap my mind around this rig for a few months but I'm constantly trying to optimize it and I never seem to get far with it. So here's my question to you guys. I have a budget around ~$2500 I can push it to $3k

To give you guys an idea on what I run, I use Unreal 4 and Crytek's CRYENGINE frequently along with Unity 5
I also play games, but nothing ridiculously demanding. It'd be nice to run 4K displays fine.

Here's what I can muster so far, I was wondering if you guys can take a stab at it and point me in the right direction.

Processor: Intel Core i7-5930K 6-Core 3.5Ghz (Planning to OC to 4 or 4.5Ghz)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS LGA 2011-V3
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15
Power Supply: Corsair HX850i
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB OC
Boot Drive: Plextor M6e 128GB M.2 PCIe SSD
Storage (SSD): (Recommend)
Storage (Hard Drive): WD Red 5TB NAS
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4x8) 2400Mhz DDR4
Case: Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 (Considering a tower from CaseLabs)
Fans: Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2/Noctua NF-A15

There are some things I'd like to point out in the build
-I am thoroughly aware that a single graphics card isn't going to cut it I plan to upgrade and get a second graphics card in the future
-I prefer having options and customizability referring to the CaseLabs case
-As far as storage goes, I'm aware of the storage space vs price when it comes to SSD vs Hard Drives is there a way to keep them quiet?

Anything else to question I'm happy to answer, thanks a lot for your insight guys I hope to get this silent build going!

Abula

Re: Silent Game Development/Software Development Rig

Post by Abula » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:16 pm

Careful with the NH-D15 and planning on using the first PCIe slot, specially on LGA2011 as most of them come with the first 16x on the first slot, as the NH-D15 passes through. If you like towers, a very similar is the Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE that its asymmetrical and grows more opposite to the PCIe slots, allowing in most cases the use of the first pcie slot, that said, if you really like Noctua, wait for the S version that are the same coolers just asymmetrical, Noctua presents two asymmetrical 140mm CPU coolers

quest_for_silence

Re: Silent Game Development/Software Development Rig

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:39 pm

KidNimbus wrote:Processor: Intel Core i7-5930K 6-Core 3.5Ghz (Planning to OC to 4 or 4.5Ghz)

Up to 1920 x 1080 it has virtually no real advantage over the cheaper 5820.

KidNimbus wrote:Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB OC

With reference to fan profile, usually Gigabyte cards are less suited than MSI or ASUS for a quiet systems.

KidNimbus wrote:Storage (SSD): (Recommend)

Among high quality, mainstream units: Samsung Pro, Sandisk Extreme Pro, Toshiba HG6, Intel 730, OCZ Vertex 460, Crucial MX200, AMD Radeon R7, Micron M600: check the relevant pricing and user feedbacks on largest retailers.

KidNimbus wrote:Case: Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 (Considering a tower from CaseLabs)

Cooling and noise wise the 800 isn't that good (check the relevant SPCR review): at first glance I'd rather the Case Labs offering.

KidNimbus wrote:Fans: Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2/Noctua NF-A15

Phanteks PH-F140HP, Antec True Quiet 140, Prolimatech Vortex, Noctua P14r.

KidNimbus wrote:-As far as storage goes, I'm aware of the storage space vs price when it comes to SSD vs Hard Drives is there a way to keep them quiet?

Using 5400rpm drives and suspending them (check the old SPCR article on quiet file servers).