Quiet down my X79 system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nster

Quiet down my X79 system

Post by nster » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:24 am

So my current system heats up my room and makes a fair amount of noise:

Case: Lian-li K62
HSF: Hyper 212+ &2 Noctua fans (H80 [broken])
CPU: 3930K @ 4Ghz, with H80 was @ 4.5Ghz
PSU: HX850
GPUs: ASUS DC III 280X + 7970 Ghz Sapphire Dual-X

Main focus : Improve noise when watching a movie/web browsing, but gaming shouldn't be completely ignored
Performance: GTX 970 or better, CPU 4-4.4Ghz OC depending on bang/noise ratio

Case: FT05 looks sweet, so does R5 Titanium, open to suggestions
HSF: Silver Arrow, Ninja 4, X61, X41, H240-X, so many options! I like WC, but it doesn't seem to be the most efficient?
GPU: Fury Nano is interesting, otherwise ASUS GTX 970 Strix is good bang/buck, for a bit more the MSI Gaming isn't bad
PSU: I always liked the AX760i/AX860i, quality is something I'm after here, I'd like the option to SLI/CF later on
Keep in mind for GPU and PSU, fanless operation when not under much load is a great feature I'm after.

Would getting an H240-X and connecting the GPU to it as well or something like X41/61 + G10 be something to consider? I'll be waiting for the Fury Nano to make my decision on the GPU. Am I on the right track here? Hardest thing to figure out for me is the HSF

CA_Steve

Re: Quiet down my X79 system

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:20 am

Welcome to SPCR.

- Are you building a completely new system or are you keeping the 3930K?
- Do you plan to OC the CPU?
- are you gaming at 1080p or ?

AMD Fury - at first glance they are inferior to Maxwell in terms of graphics horsepower/watt. If your goal is to wait for the Fury Nano, chances are either NVidia already has a Maxwell part out that has similar performance at lower power, or they will bring out a new sku as the new AMD parts release.

nster

Post by nster » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:13 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.

- Are you building a completely new system or are you keeping the 3930K?
- Do you plan to OC the CPU?
- are you gaming at 1080p or ?

AMD Fury - at first glance they are inferior to Maxwell in terms of graphics horsepower/watt. If your goal is to wait for the Fury Nano, chances are either NVidia already has a Maxwell part out that has similar performance at lower power, or they will bring out a new sku as the new AMD parts release.
I will be keeping the 3930K and OCing it to 4~4.4Ghz depending on the performance/noise ratio. Gaming is at 1440p

Well by the time I'll finish buying some of these parts I'm guessing the Fury Nano will already be out so it doesn't hurt to compare, but so far the GTX 970 looks like the best bang/buck and bang/watt. Any brand I should look at particularly? The Zotac Extreme core edition comes with a 25% price premium over the ASUS one here in canada so unfortunately doesn't look like it's worth it

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:48 pm

CPU: ok. My guess is that you won't need to OC the processor. Or, if you do, a basic OC without overvolting will be more than you need. Very few games benefit much beyond 3.5GHz base clock. At 1440p, it'll be the gpu that limits fps..except in the corner case where you have a 144Hz monitor and a game that is light on gfx resources.

CPU cooler: Ninja 4 would be fine. Most games won't use more than 4 physical cores or stress the CPU. You won't be ruinning the processor near the TDP even if you OC a bit.

Which GTX 970: Well, the gfx card may narrow the case decision and vice vera. Are you planning to go SLI? The FT05 would probably run cooler than the Define R5. But, you have to get gfx cards with the heatpipes in the correct orientation in a vertically mounted case. See Abula's FT05 thread. If not SLI, then the R5 will be quieter.