Please help with pulsing sound from my PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Scott_0907

Please help with pulsing sound from my PC

Post by Scott_0907 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:27 am

Every since I finished the first phase of my water cooled build in a 750D it would sometimes make this loud throbbing pulsing noise. It would come and go, and changing the speeds of the 5 PWM radiator fans would get rid of it, only for it to return later. I say loud but its only loud compared to my system which is pretty quiet and its the pulsing nature of it that makes it unbearable to hear. I recently added the gpu to the loop, and hoped removing those fans might solve my problem but it didn't. The set up as it is now in my 750D is I have 2 140mm silent wings in the front, one 5V the other 7V and another in the back but as an intake instead of exhaust at 5V. Then in the top i have a 360mm SR1 radiator with 3 PWM noiseblocker e-loops and in the bottom a 240mm SR1 radiator with 2 noiseblocker black silent pro PWM fans. At the moment the only way iv found to make the noise inaudible is to have all the PWM fans at very low speeds with the middle e-loop fan off altogether. I'm pretty baffled by what could be causing this noise as i can't pinpoint it down to one fan at all and changing the speeds of the fans on both radiators seems to effect the noise. Your expertise and help would be really appreciated.

Abula

Re: Please help with pulsing sound from my PC

Post by Abula » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:39 am

I had a similar issue, it was related to Scythe Fans + Supermicro Bios PWM fan control, but not exactly the same as your issue, in my case was like a breathing effect, done by ramping the fans up and down in 5 sec, it was more related toward the motherboard not able to read low rpms and entering in panic mode and ramping the fans up... so i just changed to 3pin fans and controlled them with an external fan controller. Recently i moved the server to a another case, and wanted to give a shot to pwm fans again with supermicro, and with Noctua i didnt have the issue as with sycthe, btw not bashing scythe at all, it was a supermicro issue.

Either way, you need to be able to pin point the issue, disconnect one fan and test it without one, monitor temps but check if it disappears, try also different settings on the Bios, not sure what motherbaord you won, but some can switch pwm and voltage controlled, other have presets, other have graphs. Another thing to test is software, try Speedfan and/or your mothebroard supplied fan control. etc.

Scott_0907

Post by Scott_0907 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:57 am

Thanks for the reply, yes I have tried to pinpoint it down to one fan but can't but i have however ruled out the 3 pin fans in the system. My pwm fans are all controlled by corsair link, and from what you have told me I'd be willing to bet that is the problem, unfortunately I bought my motherboard when i was a noob and it has no pwm fan control. I'm gunna upgrade to skylake at the end of the the year so i guess Ill have to wait until then. Never considered the pwm controller could be the issue but now you have pointed it out its obvious that's the problem. Thanks so much for your help!

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:01 pm

Be careful when buying and researach a lot, as not all motherboard fan controls are equal.

A lot of people like Asus design, before Z97/H97, you would need to understand how each header worked, only teh CPU fan header was a true pwm fan header, the rest even though they were 4pin, they were voltage controlled, thus like using them as 3pin. If you understand this, then was easy to pick the correct fans for each slot. Post H97/Z97 it seems asus implemented their hybrid design on all headers, so in theory all are pwm or voltage controlled, you need to enter the bios and select it. Asus software control setup, FanXpert, its pretty good, among the best imo, but you do need to have it loaded, and dependent on you using Windows for it to work, thus not my prefered way to control my fans.

MSI and AsRock seem to have very good bios fan control, i can say it for sure from MSI, as i own two motherboards, even newer have better control, i build on H97 Gaming 3 for a friend, and now you have more breaking points. Still its important to understand the fan header design, only CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 are true PWM fan headers, SYS_FAN1,2,3 are voltage controlled, so choosing the correct fans for each slot its important. On AsRock i can only say from what i have seen in forums, that they have also pretty solid design regarding their CPU_FAN header, with more breakpoints and smaller increments than MSI, though from what i saw, their chasis headers are only on presets, not as the CPU header, that said, manufacturers are always improving from gen to gen, so it could have changed on newer motherboards.

Remember before buying decide what motherboard has the features you like, then research how it can control the fans, are all PWM or Voltage controlled, etc. Its not easy, and a lot of times we blame manufacturers, and to some point we are right, as they sometimes lie or hide the limitations, but once you establish how it works, and you understand what to buy, its very easy to end up with a good fan control setup, and if your choices were quiet components you will most likely end up with a very quiet PC.

Good luck with the choices.