New Build Random Shutdown Issues

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dcrdev

New Build Random Shutdown Issues

Post by dcrdev » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi,

Joined up here looking for some build advice...

I'm in the process of building a passively cooled ITX system for use as a fileserver. I've been experiencing random shutdowns frequently, the latest of which rendered the system unbootable, it took several attempts at plugging in/out the power supply.

I'm currently using a PicoPSU 150-XT, which replaced a Streacom 150w NanoPSU (also had these symptoms) - I'm still using the 150W brick that came with the Streacom PSU. When the system is off the power brick LED flickers and the PicoPSU seems to make a mechanical clicking sound (same with the Streacom PSU).

What does this sound like to you? faulty power brick? or motherboard?

It seems that everything that could have gone wrong with this build, has and I really can't afford to throw any more money into this build at the moment. That being said I've got a higher quality 150w brick on the way and I'm crossing my fingers this will work.

My system:
Motherboard: MSI A88XI FM2+ AC
CPU: AMD 7600
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1866 CL10
Mechanical Drives: 5400RPM 2.5 Drive
PSU: PicoPSU 150-XT

Would really appreciate any input at all, just trying to put my mind at rest.

Thanks.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: New Build Random Shutdown Issues

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:07 am

Test another brick. Also, check the voltages (with multimeter or software or both). That flickering LED doesn't sound good, maybe cut the power to the brick when the system is off?

dcrdev

Post by dcrdev » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:41 am

Yeah a new brick arrived in the mail today - this one is an FSP brick. I've had the system up for 5 1/2 hours with several 1080p videos running in the background - so far no shutdowns. This brick isn't flickering at all - it is making a hardly noticeable whirring sound; I'm sure that's nothing though.

I'm going to keep it running in this state for the next 24 hours (before I close up the case and everything) - but so far so good.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:29 am

Good to hear. :) A picoPSU is only as good as the brick feeding it, and good 12V bricks can be hard to find.