Sub $500 Silent PC?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

username001

Sub $500 Silent PC?

Post by username001 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:03 pm

Hello, first post here! I've been reading the extremely helpful guides and posts here. My current PC (old build from 2012) disregarded any noise considerations and is quite loud. I was hoping I could seek some advice for my next build:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 2GB Video Card ($108.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $470.73

Hard drives are moot - I'll simply be porting my SSD over from an old PC.

Basically, I'm wondering if the parts I've picked will be able to give me a blissfully silent computer? Thank you!

CA_Steve

Re: Sub $500 Silent PC?

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:27 am

Welcome to SPCR.

What's your use case? Gaming? Something else? If gaming, what's your monitor resolution and what games do you play?

I'm reluctant to recommend the AMD FX CPU for a new low cost build unless you fit into it's narrow benefit (transcoding video and other apps where lots of brute force cores outperform fewer higher IPC cores).

If this is a low cost gaming build, the overclockable G3258 Pentium + Asrock Z97M Pro4 mobo for $150 can be a better fit.

edh

Post by edh » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:30 pm

username001 wrote:My current PC (old build from 2012) disregarded any noise considerations and is quite loud.
Anything wrong with your existing system other than noise? It might be worth knowing what else makes up your existing system as 500USD is not a huge budget and some savings on reusing existing components might allow you to spend more money on other, more worthwhile components.

CPU: The FX-8350 is a 125W CPU and some sources say it may boost up to 140W. This is not a good start for a budget silent system as it immediately will require a top end CPU cooler to get it even remotely quiet under load. It's also a 2012 generation CPU. Can't recommend this.

CPU Cooler: Not sure the Hyper 212 Evo will get you a silent system with that kind of CPU TDP. One of the big dual fan coolers might be able to but these cost a lot more. It's an old cooler now too.

Motherboard: Not the most up to date chipset there. Unfortunately I can't find much in the way of reviews on this particular motherboard but some info I have on the ATX boards (might apply) suggest that fan control is NOT good:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1173504/asro ... an-control
Decent fan control is needed for a quiet system.

Memory: With the spec for the rest of the system, 8GB would seem more fitting. It depends on your applications perhaps. Also DDR3 is now old technology. Doesn't seem worth on spending so much money on older RAM.

Video Card: Geforce GTX 750 would be a better choice. The 360 has a 100W TDP whereas the 750 is 55-60W and is much easier to cool quietly.

Case: Quite big for MicroATX. Do you need this much in the way of hard drive bays?

Power Supply: The Corsair CX430 is one of their cheaper PSUs. It's made by a much cheaper OEM than their high end Seasonic derived units so YMMV. This is now a 3 year old PSU as well, Bronze efficiency is nothing special and it not be as quiet as newer designs.

I'm not so sure why you may have chosen the components you have. Many of them are from 2012 and your existing system is also from 2012. I think it would be better to look at what you have in your current system, reuse more of what can be used (eg, case and PSU with mods) and spend the money saved on some 2015 components, like say a Skylake Core i3, H170i motherboard, 8Gb of DDR4 and a GTX 750.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:51 am

username001 wrote:I'm wondering if the parts I've picked will be able to give me a blissfully silent computer?
No, they can't.

The following one, for instance, is a more suitable parts list (for such a goal), and I guess that similarly quiet rigs shouldn't cost much less than it, at the moment (and without deeper researches): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8K2Nt6.

username001

Post by username001 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:02 am

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.

What's your use case? Gaming? Something else? If gaming, what's your monitor resolution and what games do you play?
Thanks for the welcome! General purpose desktop, possibly light gaming. Video card is mainly to power 2x DL DVI monitors at 2560x1440.
edh wrote: I'm not so sure why you may have chosen the components you have. Many of them are from 2012 and your existing system is also from 2012. I think it would be better to look at what you have in your current system, reuse more of what can be used (eg, case and PSU with mods) and spend the money saved on some 2015 components, like say a Skylake Core i3, H170i motherboard, 8Gb of DDR4 and a GTX 750.
I'm beginning to understand that AMD and silence don't go hand in hand very well, thanks for all the helpful input! Really gives me an idea of what to look for.
quest_for_silence wrote:The following one, for instance, is a more suitable parts list (for such a goal), and I guess that similarly quiet rigs shouldn't cost much less than it, at the moment (and without deeper researches): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8K2Nt6.
Thanks for this, I'm going to go back to the drawing board with Intel.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:59 am

Yep, if you need one (let alone two) DL DVI-D connections, then it pushes you into a discrete card. If you didn't game, then the Zotac GT 610 would work. Driving a 1440p monitor for gaming takes a lot of gfx horsepower (read as lot of $'s) unless you turn down the game resolution to 1080p and/or dial down the gfx quality.

Luca's pcpartpicker build is a good template. Here's some alternatives:
- CPU: i5 is the sweet spot...but if $'s are tight, then dropping to the i3-4360 3.7GHz will save $50 and be unnoticable in games until you add a $300+ gfx card...and even then it might not. If you really want to go cheap, there's the Pentium G3258 overclocking option with a z97 mobo..
- RAM: Go with 2 x 4GB to save some bucks. Very few games need more and you can always add if you need it.
- Gfx card: Keeping within the $500 limit, the GTX 750 Ti is the best. It'll perform well at 1080p. Unfortunately, MSI only has 1 DVI connector. The Zotac KalmX is a passive option - if you can find it...and it'll need direct airflow to stay cool while gaming. Asus GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 is another option...it's not the Strix version with passive fan on 2D use, but it does have two DL DVI-D.

edh

Post by edh » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:06 am

username001 wrote:General purpose desktop, possibly light gaming. Video card is mainly to power 2x DL DVI monitors at 2560x1440.
With the latest systems you don't need a separate video card to do this. Onboard graphics can do this depending upon your CPU and motherboard choice. This makes things much easier with your budget. Without a graphics card to worry about there's more money to spend on the other components.

What do you have in your current computer? Maybe more of it can be reused? I'm seeing this now more of an upgrade of CPU+motherboard+RAM plus a few cooling changes rather than an entire new system.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:37 am

I don't think Intel supports dual link DVI-D. Just single link. Mobo's are calling out "Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz".

username001

Post by username001 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:13 pm

edh wrote:What do you have in your current computer? Maybe more of it can be reused? I'm seeing this now more of an upgrade of CPU+motherboard+RAM plus a few cooling changes rather than an entire new system.
The old computer is being donated to a relative, moving over the SSD but that's about it!

I've formulated a new build based off some further research and suggestions. Looking at the wattage calculator on part picker was a real eye opener regarding Intel vs AMD... I'm not sure about the Gelid CPU cooler, from reviews it seems to be fairly quiet. Admittedly 300W is pretty small, but it's within the recommended range and from what I understand the Silverstone SFX is very quiet.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions SnowStorm 66.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $640.90

Admittedly this is no longer at the sub $500 mark but as it's been said here: silence comes at a premium. Interestingly enough American Express is running a $25 off newegg when you spend $200 so for me this would be a 640-75 = $565 machine, not a bad deal at all! All suggestions and comments are appreciated and thank you for the help!

@edh I noticed you have a Rajintek Metis? Beautiful case.. I'm actually torn between the Thermaltake V1 and the Metis, any reason why you chose to go with Rajintek?

edh

Post by edh » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:14 pm

OK, this looks interesting.

That's an expensive CPU and GPU plus a lot of RAM for a system that's only needed for general use plus possible light gaming. What are you actually going to use it for? The 6600 is getting decidedly high end if you just end web browsing. 8Gb RAM is also all you need for general use right now.

If you just need to drive a pair of 2560x1600 monitors then a GTX 750 is wasted. Even some of the most poverty spec modern cards support 2x dual link DVI. A GT 720 perhaps instead to save money? Steve points out that maybe onboard graphics won't do 2x 2560x1600 over DVI although I know they would be fine over display port if you can find a motherboard with the right connectors.
username001 wrote:@edh I noticed you have a Rajintek Metis? Beautiful case.. I'm actually torn between the Thermaltake V1 and the Metis, any reason why you chose to go with Rajintek?
Here's my build thread on the Metis that should explain my reasoning:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68832

I would never consider Thermaltake for a silent system. I just wouldn't as they don't really target our kind of computing and even if they do rate something as being 16dB, it's always been measured from another continent. The Core V1 is quite big for a MiniITX system at 22.7 litres. That's bigger than some MicroATX cases. It's inefficient in it's use of space, doesn't make good cooling choices and won't allow big tower coolers.

Also if you are on a low budget MiniITX may not be the best choice, it tends to raise the cost a bit. MicroATX tends to be cheaper.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:16 am

username001 wrote:I'm not sure about the Gelid CPU cooler

Avoid it, pick a more roomy/better organized enclosure and a better cooler.

username001 wrote:from what I understand the Silverstone SFX is very quiet.

Within a 120-130W power envelope it's the quietest SFX unit in the market (it run fanless), but the relevant fan isn't the best sounding one, so it's better it doesn't ever kick in.

username001 wrote:CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)

If you're on a tight budget, it doesn't worth a 30 bucks premium over the former 4590.

username001 wrote:CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions SnowStorm 66.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Already said about, moreover it doesn't seem preferable to similarly sized coolers (Silverstone, Arctic Cooling, Cooler Master).

username001 wrote:Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Check the height clearance with small tower like the Gelid/CM/Silverstone/AC, they're taller than regular sticks.

username001 wrote:@edh I noticed you have a Rajintek Metis? Beautiful case.. I'm actually torn between the Thermaltake V1 and the Metis

Take note that apparently the Silverstone SFX unit doesn't seem well suited to mount it in a rather closed enclosure like the methis.

edh wrote:I would never consider Thermaltake for a silent system. I just wouldn't as they don't really target our kind of computing and even if they do rate something as being 16dB, it's always been measured from another continent. The Core V1 is quite big for a MiniITX system at 22.7 litres. That's bigger than some MicroATX cases. It's inefficient in it's use of space, doesn't make good cooling choices and won't allow big tower coolers.

+1

edh wrote:Also if you are on a low budget MiniITX may not be the best choice, it tends to raise the cost a bit. MicroATX tends to be cheaper.

+1: shrinking dimensions comes at a premium price and it challenges noise level.