Silent Green Gaming Rig - Advice needed on some pieces

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wwoaustin

Silent Green Gaming Rig - Advice needed on some pieces

Post by wwoaustin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:19 am

I am trying to put together a new gaming rig that is somewhat future proof without a completely ridiuclous budget. My goal is to keep both the noise and the power consumption to a minimum while still being able to handle newer games like Fallout. I have done a lot of research on these forums and others and I am fairly confident with most of my choices but I would happily welcome any advice. My biggest question marks are on the motherboard choice, 960 vs 970, and the power supply choice. Thank you in advance for your input.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($324.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.24 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($85.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1206.04

CA_Steve

Re: Silent Green Gaming Rig - Advice needed on some pieces

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:58 am

Welcome to SPCR.

I just helped a friend with a Fallout 4 tuneup. Specifically for this game, the CPU is fine, the expected fps is as follows (culled from reviews):

Fallout 4: 1080p Ultra settings (Medium settings) - GTX 960 49-63fps (70), GTX 970 75-100fps; 1440p - GTX 970 50-59fps, GTX 980 60-66fps.. Ultra uses 2.6 to 2.9GB VRAM. Gameworks impacts by 10fps or more. Likes 4 threads, 4 cores better, at least 3GHz..4Ghz max useful benefit.

I'd recommend going with the i5-6600 or 6600K for the faster base and turbo clocks.

Mobo: Z170A is fine. There's also the Gaming version with better audio analog path (if you need it).

PSU: RM is fine. However, the EVGA SupernovaP2 650W is on sale at Newegg for $70 after $30 MIR. Platinum, passive for your loads, great idle efficiency.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:53 pm

If you don't have a need for the 5 1/4" drive slot, there's the Fractal Define S with window for $60. The window adds neglible noise over the non-windowed version.

wwoaustin

Post by wwoaustin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks for the suggestions...

Somehow I missed the 6600 option but it looks like a winner over the 6500. Just wanted to stay in the 65w range and didn't need the OC ability of the 6600k.

For the mobo if I go with Asus I will probably go with the gaming board you recommended for a couple dollars more. The other mobo I am strongly considering is the MSI Z170A Gaming M5.
http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable ... 437-317164
It looks to excel in most performance aspects and has a lower power consumption than the Asus. I have only ever built with Asus so I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on the MSI boards.

No real need for the optical drive but not a fan of the window at all. Right now the S without the window is 80 and the r5 is 90 so 10 dollars seems worth it for the easy filter access and the additional noise abortion on paper. Have no first hand experience on the difference the extra insulation actually makes though.

Yeah I really have no idea on the PSU. I have looked at fanless seasonics and be quiets and corsairs and I really can't seem to find a consensus. Going fanless always scares me a little compared to a fan that only turns on when needed so I have leaned away from the seasonic. I like the idea of fully modular so I can clean out everything I don't use but other than that I have nothing. If its a difference of 30 bucks or so is there any brand or model you would have added confidence in?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Asus: Has awesome BIOS level fan controls, Intel NIC, better analog path, and better USB 3.1.
MSI: Has not quite as good but still decent BIOS level fan controls, Killer NIC and much better idle power.
Pick yer poison. :)

PSU: get the EVGA model linked above.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm

CA_Steve wrote:MSI: Has not quite as good but still decent BIOS level fan controls, Killer NIC and much better idle power.
I had a weird experience recently, i help a friend build on a MSI H170 Gaming M3, and the bios is much better than mine, and the CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 on bios are very similar to what the Z97 is (better than my Z87), but where i struggled was on the SYS_FANs, not sure what happen but i couldnt setup the voltage control to be dynamic, it can still do flat undervolting, but when you click on smart, where you are suppose to be able to do the graph, the 3pin fans went to full rpms, i tried all the SYS_FAN headers, all behave the same, what i didnt have time is weather the smart makes the header PWM or not.... maybe when i have free time, ill go to my friends house with other fans and test PWM and 3pin on the SYS_FAN headers, but for now to me its a step backward, i wouldn't be able to control the AP182 like this or i would need to keep them flat on rpm.
Asus: Has awesome BIOS level fan controls
I really would like to test a Asus mobo, to see how are the restrictions on pure bios, as this seems to be the future if MSI doesnt return to their old style of controlling 3pin fans.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:59 pm

I really would like to test a Asus mobo, to see how are the restrictions on pure bios, as this seems to be the future if MSI doesnt return to their old style of controlling 3pin fans.
Sell one of your many graphics cards and do a Z170 build :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:38 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Sell one of your many graphics cards and do a Z170 build :)
;)

Im wondering though, would a cheap H170 or B110 have the same level of fan control on bios than Z170?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Abula wrote:Im wondering though, would a cheap H170 or B110 have the same level of fan control on bios than Z170?
What about looking into the relevant manuals? :wink: