Quiet ECC server

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tipo33

Quiet ECC server

Post by tipo33 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:22 am

I am building a small server, It will not be running any VM's or anything hardware intensive, but it will run 24/7 and it does need to have ECC. My budget is 30,000 Russian Roubles, most of the parts will be bought at http://www.citilink.ru/ except the PSU, which they don't carry. Yes, I know the parts are not the latest and greatest, but this build is within my budget, and fits the criteria.

Fractal Design Core 1000
Seasonic G360
Asus M5A78L-M LX3
AMD Phenom II X2 560
2x Kingston KVR16E1158/4
Samsung 650 SSD
Seagate Desktop ST1000DM003
Cooler Master GeminII M4

I have done quite a bit of research into the parts and the way they fit together. Many people have run the Asus M5A78L-M LX3 with ECC for FreeNAS and have reported that it does indeed support ECC. I don't want the server to be deafeningly loud, but I didn't go with a tower cooler because the Fractal Design Core 1000 only has a 92mm fan slot on the rear, but is the only case available in the 3,000Rub price bracket that has a 120mm in the front. The Seasonic G360 got good reviews from jonnyguru.com/ and here on SPCR :) , it is one of the most expensive components in the build, but it is 80plus rated which in my opinion is important in a 24/7 system. I could easily buy a PSU here for 1,500Rub that didn't have active PFC or any sort of protection, but if I skimp on this item, it may cost me the entire server later.. I wanted to get a HDD for a NAS or server such as a WD Red or a Seagate Constellation, but sadly is not within the budget. I am aware the build doesn't include a GPU, an Nvidia 210 will be used to set it up, but will then be removed.

What do you guys think? Thank you in advance. :D