New bigger and quieter case?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rikardo

New bigger and quieter case?

Post by Rikardo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:16 am

Last christmas I upgraded my home server.

I needed something to fit in Ikea Expedit shelf in the corner of the living room and would fit 4 4TB WD Greens (WD40EZRX), so I chose Fractal Design Node 304.

Rest of the build consists of:
Asus Z87i-Pro motherboard
Intel i5 4670K processor
Noctua NH-U9B cooler
2 Noctua NF-B9 and a NF-A14 PWM case fans to replace Fractals own fans
Corsair CX430W PSU
Random 2,5" HDD for operating system.

At first I was planning to use the bigger HD cage from my old P180 for the drives with some noise absorption foam as a cushion. Unfortunately the cage would not fit in the case even without any padding.
Then I installed the drives using Fractals own mounts and suspended the 2,5" in one of the drive cages. Not so quiet as I expected. Next I changed to the softer rubber mounts from the P180. It was an improvement, but not much. This point I experimented with fan settings and then just gave up because the noise was not so bad when the case was in its place.

Now I have moved in to a bigger house and have another room for all my computer stuff. Still have the same shelf in my "man cave" but now there is no need to keep the case in the shelf anymore so I thougt maybe bigger case could improve the noise?

The noise is nefinitely coming from those spinning WD Greens, but I still don't want a humongous case to suspend them. Would I be alright with Define Mini? With extra noise dampening materials? I'm considering also Define R5 or R4, but those might end up having too much wasted space in this case (pun not intended).

Any thoughts or recommendations?