Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 ticking noise?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Metro1337

Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 ticking noise?

Post by Metro1337 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:51 am

Hello everyone,

I have 3 GP-14 fans, one of them is a replacement unit because of a strange noise coming from all of them. I was wondering if that is the famous ticking noise, it gets louder if I turn up the fan speed and sounds like the fans are hitting a cable. All of them are connected to the fan control from my Fractal Define R5, each to a 3 PIN header.

I didn't found anything on the internet about noise issues with the GP14 and all reviews claimed them to be very quiet. Is this a common motor issue or are all my fans faulty?

Here is a sample I recorded, it's very quiet on the video but in reality its way louder so please turn up the volume of your speakers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0J9ZN ... 51dDg/view

I would appreciate any tips. Thanks in advance :)

baii

Re: Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 ticking noise?

Post by baii » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:28 am

I got 2 with the define s, one of them have ticking sort of bearing noise.

Metro1337

Post by Metro1337 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:18 pm

baii wrote:I got 2 with the define s, one of them have ticking sort of bearing noise.
And the other one doesn't? I can't believe all of my 3 fans are faulty, that would be really unlucky for me. I'm very disappointed though that no review reported that, the fans do push a fair amount of air and look very good but this ticking noise... I can't stand it and will have to replace those.

Any other information is fairly appreciated!

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:38 am

If your motherboard offers reasonable PWM fan control then replacing them with PWM 140mm fans is a potential option, if you are willing to bear the costs involved. The Noctua NF-A14 140mm PWM is one of the best selling fans in this size according to my local PC hardware dealer. Whichever way you look at it though, this is an expensive fan. The price is partly justified by the extras that come with it including rubber mounts, a PWM Y cable and a PWM extension cable. Fractal themselves offer the Venturi HP-14 PWM which has a nominal 400 to 1500 rpm speed range. Another fan that could be considered is the Noctua Redux NF-P14s 1200 PWM 140mm. It comes as just the fan without extras, and from my local dealer here in the UK is somewhat cheaper than the NF-A14 and slightly cheaper than the HP-14. This fan works very well with Asus motherboards that support Fan Xpert software, allowing idle speeds in the 200 to 300 rpm range subject to ambient temperature. I have had one of these fans working in PWM mode in a system for over a year now, there is definitely no ticking. Indeed at the lowest speeds it is eerily silent.

plexman

Post by plexman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:03 pm

My 2 r5 case fans also have a ticking noise but its not really noticable unless I put my ear close to the fans.

When I first got my r5 case I thought my front fan was faulty due to a loud ticking noise. It turned out to be my front dust filter that had a few bits of material sticking out and hitting the fan.

To be honest after reading so many good reviews about the r5 case and fans along with my kotetsu cooler fan I was also a bit underwhelmed. I was expecting better overall noise quality.

I guess its all subjective to the listeners ears and db ratings can only tell you so much.

Stratohero

Post by Stratohero » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:30 am

Be Quiet! is releasing Silent Wings 3 soon, they are the only company with virtually inaudible fans across the board.