quiet gaming mouse and keyboard?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nhyrum

quiet gaming mouse and keyboard?

Post by Nhyrum » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:34 pm

this seems to be a strange topic on here, as you cannot entirely remove the tactile feedback given by clicks and such from these devices, but what do you guys run? Ive heard the cherry mx brown switches are nice. what about gaming mice? i dont care about ones that have the numpad on the side

Abula

Re: quiet gaming mouse and keyboard?

Post by Abula » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:51 pm

On keyboards, personally don't care much about how quiet they are, my keyboard are mostly MX Cherry Browns, but i do dislike Blues because of the extra sound, there are a lot of different switches and designs, they usually divide on tactile and clicky, there are some that that don't have any feedback or clicks, but you gotta understand that most users still bottom the keys so some sound is produced still, unless you learn to type without bottoming out, you can do O ring mods for lowering some this. If quietness is what you are after, i believe that a rubber dome keyboard will be quieter than mechanical, but really depends on which. I havent tested Torpe based keyboards yet (too expensive for me), but there is a drop atm going on massdrop, might be worth checking, Topre Silenced 104U With PBT Spacebars

About mice, you can change the micro switches, there are some that in theory don't produce sound at all, this is entirely a user preference more than whats best. I personally do like the click on my mouse.

You should check Recommend a Silent Mouse and Keyboard?, its a good thread to read some and see some users opinions and what they have done. The last recommendation is check GeekHack is a community obsessed with keyboards and modding.

Nhyrum

Post by Nhyrum » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:47 am

i have tried to read that forum, i think i got to page 5 or 6. it was just too painful to read. there was some recommendations on torpe keyboards, but they look like the keyboards my grandma has, and they're spendy.

Thanks for that forum, they're pretty intense, going to lengths of customizing key-caps... weird. but cool. I like tinkering, so that is my heaven.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 am

Nhyrum wrote:i have tried to read that forum, i think i got to page 5 or 6. it was just too painful to read. there was some recommendations on torpe keyboards, but they look like the keyboards my grandma has, and they're spendy.
Torpe is consider by a large part of the community as the best, although you do have to like them, as its like hybrid switch, but their quality has been raved for years, personally i like the price range of Cherry MX type of keyboards, although i do want to buy a torpe, but at $300 seems a little steep, but there are options, there are 3rd party sellers that use their switches, and about looks.... i guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for me retro style is great, but then again im old =P.

Be sure to check Geekhack more, there are group buys where you can save, and people can give you better advise than what i can, this is more a hobby for them than simply a keyboard, some own tons of keyboards, i would even suggest you post there.
Nhyrum wrote:Thanks for that forum, they're pretty intense, going to lengths of customizing key-caps... weird. but cool. I like tinkering, so that is my heaven.
Stay there long enough, and you will see your wallet cry, there are tons of keyboards and customization keys, sizes colors, sets, its insane, really is, i have bought some, but i try not to go to that forum much or i end up spending again and again.