Wrong cooler shipped - maybe a good thing?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greg_R

Wrong cooler shipped - maybe a good thing?

Post by Greg_R » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:34 pm

I am putting together a system and ordered a Prolimatech Genesis off of Amazon and they instead sent me a Megahalems. However, the motherboard I've received (Asus X99 Deluxe) has memory slots on both sides of the CPU. Will Ripjaws memory fit under the *vertical side* of the Genesis (if I return the cooler and have them send me the right one)? Am I better off just keeping and installing the Megahalems from a cooling and silence standpoint given my motherboard config? Or should I return the Megahalems and pick a different cooler all together? I plan on pushing the overclock while keeping the system quiet.

Here's the system info; a bunch of these parts are pulled from a previous machine and may not end up in the final build... I was more concerned about total wattage and determining worst case heat load in this config.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XXqyvK

mentawl

Re: Wrong cooler shipped - maybe a good thing?

Post by mentawl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:15 pm

I'm gonna say that the RAM should fit under the Genesis.

If you want to check, the measurement and last pic on this page may help you: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1191-page3.html

:)

Greg_R

Post by Greg_R » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:55 pm

mentawl wrote:I'm gonna say that the RAM should fit under the Genesis.

If you want to check, the measurement and last pic on this page may help you: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1191-page3.html

:)
That shows a motherboard with all the RAM on one side of the CPU. I have no concerns about RAM fitting under the *horizontal* part, I am concerned about the *vertical* part of the cooler (2nd to last picture).

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:04 pm

ripjaws heatsinks dont do anything except get in the way. get different ram, or pull the silly heatsinks off.

Greg_R

Post by Greg_R » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:17 pm

xan_user wrote:ripjaws heatsinks dont do anything except get in the way. get different ram, or pull the silly heatsinks off.
OK. Does memory fit under the vertical portion of the Genesis cooler?

A 4 piece memory kit would go into the outermost slots (no problem) and the 2nd innermost slots (may be a problem).

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:55 am

According to the heatsink's webpage, the Ripjaws profile is too tall for the closest slot under the vertical portion, but may work for the second slot. (You'll have to measure)

However, I believe in one of my previous builds, my Ripjaws memory did fit under the horizontal portion.

Greg_R

Post by Greg_R » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks FireFlare.

What about the cooling capability between the Genesis and Megahalems? It seems like the Genesis is the newer design but I don't know if that == better cooling?

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Greg_R wrote:Thanks FireFlare.

What about the cooling capability between the Genesis and Megahalems? It seems like the Genesis is the newer design but I don't know if that == better cooling?
I've never had a Megahalems, but using a pair of 140mm PWM Noctuas, my Genesis never needed to became audible when playing games.