Fractal r5 case fans and more

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: Fractal r5 case fans and more

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:08 pm

ThePrussianPrince wrote:HP-14 is probably more suited as a CPU cooler fan or something, but should still work adequately as a case fan I'd imagine?

It's *DIFFERENT*, how can I say? It's a 1500rpm fan, it will run presumably faster and so noisier than a 1000rpm GP-14: moreover it's PWM, you shouldn't connect it to the R5 fan controller (as you said in previous messages) given its about 8V starting voltage.
Of course you might use, of course it's a good fan, but: a) I think it may not be perfectly suited to match the GP-14; and b) maybe it's a tad wasted as a plain rear exhaust (it's also an high pressure fan).

ThePrussianPrince wrote:PS: When trying to ship to Romania, it says: "This seller does not ship to Romania". So, I guess that won't work.

Then in case you may try to be more flexible, and think to order it from Amazon UK, instead: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TYN3CU4.

ThePrussianPrince wrote:It's much cheaper and it's black, which is nice. However, I can only find the 120 version here, and it's ball bearings which I'm not a fan of.

No, no, I did not mean either the Slipstream 140, or the Slipstream DB, but just the plain vanilla Slipstream, which is one of the longest standing SPCR references: just for instance this one (voltage controlled) or this other one (PWM).

This is a good sounding fan (despite what might be your preconceived ideas about fans at the moment), and what I'd use at first, if I need a black fan but the GP-14 weren't available: as a matter of fact the humble Slispstream is what Fractal and Puget used to set their record for low noise PC at Orfield Laboratories (and - as said - one of the SPCR references, since a long time). :wink:

ThePrussianPrince wrote:The question is... Are any of these case fans enough (or rather, any of them not fit for the job) to cool the system I have, considering overclocks?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1422-page4.html :wink:

ThePrussianPrince

Post by ThePrussianPrince » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:08 am

quest_for_silence wrote:It's *DIFFERENT*, how can I say? It's a 1500rpm fan, it will run presumably faster and so noisier than a 1000rpm GP-14: moreover it's PWM, you shouldn't connect it to the R5 fan controller (as you said in previous messages) given its about 8V starting voltage.
Of course you might use, of course it's a good fan, but: a) I think it may not be perfectly suited to match the GP-14; and b) maybe it's a tad wasted as a plain rear exhaust (it's also an high pressure fan).
Oh, 8V starting voltage. That's not good then, wasn't aware. That does make placing it in the fan controller unfeasible then, and the Venturi is out of the picture as a rear case fan. I wasn't even considering the Venturi until I e-mailed Fractal and asked if they were planning to ship the GP-14 Blacks to Romania any time soon (and also explained I'd be using it as a case fan and with the fan controller), and they replied saying that they won't. However, then they suggested I should get a HP-14 for the job. This does indeed seem like not good advice now, after taking into account what you informed me of as well.
quest_for_silence wrote:Then in case you may try to be more flexible, and think to order it from Amazon UK, instead: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TYN3CU4.
Nah, I'd rather not bother with the shipping really, will try to find something locally.
quest_for_silence wrote:No, no, I did not mean either the Slipstream 140, or the Slipstream DB, but just the plain vanilla Slipstream, which is one of the longest standing SPCR references: just for instance this one (voltage controlled) or this other one (PWM).

This is a good sounding fan (despite what might be your preconceived ideas about fans at the moment), and what I'd use at first, if I need a black fan but the GP-14 weren't available: as a matter of fact the humble Slispstream is what Fractal and Puget used to set their record for low noise PC at Orfield Laboratories (and - as said - one of the SPCR references, since a long time). :wink:
The voltage controlled one can no longer be purchased, however the PWM one can. Or it's the same, it doesn't start below 8V or so?

Anyway, this has an attractive price point and seems very quiet. However, there are 2 things bothering me (not exactly sure how important they are in the grand scheme of things): sleeve bearing and 120mm. As mentioned before, I was hoping to get FDB and 140mm.

I found this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68857

In particular, Jefe's post seemed very interesting. He prefers the 140mm. As a result, I was looking into this (though it's still only sleeve bearing): http://www.pcgarage.ro/ventilatoare-rad ... 140mm-pwm/

I'm also considering the TrueQuiet 140 (http://www.pcgarage.ro/ventilatoare-rad ... iet-140mm/) again, though I really don't like the yellow part.
Yeah, seen that before. But those are all 140mm fans, he didn't OC the CPU, and AFAIK the 980 runs slightly cooler and with less power draw. So, I'm not sure if it's as relevant.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:08 pm

ThePrussianPrince wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Then in case you may try to be more flexible, and think to order it from Amazon UK, instead: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TYN3CU4.
Nah, I'd rather not bother with the shipping really, will try to find something locally.

Do what you think best: I always prefer to have thew right parts, not just what's locally available.

ThePrussianPrince wrote:The voltage controlled one can no longer be purchased, however the PWM one can. Or it's the same, it doesn't start below 8V or so?

It should start around 5V.

ThePrussianPrince wrote:Anyway, this has an attractive price point and seems very quiet. However, there are 2 things bothering me (not exactly sure how important they are in the grand scheme of things): sleeve bearing and 120mm. As mentioned before, I was hoping to get FDB and 140mm

I can't help against what I feel like your preconceived ideas: 140mm is either not that important, or overrated (the CFM advantage is minimal at low rpm, when the fan are quiet, even better, the pressure is often lower so the flow should be checked against the grille, as it would drop with greater impedance), and it can be counterproductive (at the same rpm, the 140mm fans are usually noisier than 120mm one), FDB doesn't matter (it's not an horizontally mounted fan, it's not a PSU fan) and it can be self defeating (often FDB fans are more prominently clicky).

ThePrussianPrince wrote:
Yeah, seen that before. But those are all 140mm fans, he didn't OC the CPU, and AFAIK the 980 runs slightly cooler and with less power draw. So, I'm not sure if it's as relevant.

I didn't get you: less power draw of which card? Didn't you have a 5850? And how many watts do you think OC brings in?

Anyway, with reference to 140mm fans, I already gave you the main solution as the first option, to pay about 22 euros/102 lei for a black GP-14 shipped to your door from Amazon.uk (as said, I prefers the right parts in the right place): it would cost as much as an FD HP-14, but it's a rare fan which is perfect for your colour-scheme, and better suited than the FDB sibling to be used with the R5 fan hub (usually money come and go, satisfaction lasts more).

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:28 pm

ThePrussianPrince wrote:
Abula wrote:
ThePrussianPrince wrote:I'd imagine less power draw than a 980/980 Ti so should be easier to cool.
I would asume also.... but you never know, its a new architecture.... not always ends up more efficient, we will know in june.
Yeah, the 2 months or so will be a bit painful until June, for me. I really hope the new ones will be worth it, they should at least be better in terms of price/performance than the last gen though, I'd imagine. Otherwise, there'd be no point.

I really hope it won't be a paper launch and they'll actually be available in stores in June, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.
As time gets near we will see more leaks, atm what we have is fairy tails, but it starting to consolidate, latest rumors are dropping the HBA and GDDR5x, and giving us a more in line card with what Nvidia has been doing, that to me will be better probably in line with what they have been giving us per gen, around 25-30% increase. That said the HBA or/and GDDR5x version probably wont come until early next year with the Ti version that Nvidia is staring to make as habbit. I will wait until the MSI Lightning comes out, weather is on this gen or Ti.... will see =P

ThePrussianPrince

Post by ThePrussianPrince » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:34 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Do what you think best: I always prefer to have thew right parts, not just what's locally available.
I would agree with you but I think I have plenty of options locally as well. There's much more hassle to having it shipped, and takes more time than simply purchasing one from a local shop (which I have plenty of around and with pretty decent diversity). Not to mention the very unlikely situation in which the fan doesn't work or has a defect (whirring noise), what do I do then? More hassle instead of easily returning it to a local shop. And yes, I'm very skeptical of hardware actually working properly these days due to my numerous issues, to say the least.
quest_for_silence wrote:It should start around 5V.
Ah, that's great.
quest_for_silence wrote:I can't help against what I feel like your preconceived ideas: 140mm is either not that important, or overrated (the CFM advantage is minimal at low rpm, when the fan are quiet, even better, the pressure is often lower so the flow should be checked against the grille, as it would drop with greater impedance), and it can be counterproductive (at the same rpm, the 140mm fans are usually noisier than 120mm one), FDB doesn't matter (it's not an horizontally mounted fan, it's not a PSU fan) and it can be self defeating (often FDB fans are more prominently clicky).
Well, in the thread I linked (in which you posted), as I mentioned there was someone with a conflicting opinion. He noted that he much prefers the 140mm fans over the 120 ones.

As for FDB not mattering, I was under the impression that not only do they have the best lifespan, but it's is also the most silent one (generally, at least).
quest_for_silence wrote:I didn't get you: less power draw of which card? Didn't you have a 5850? And how many watts do you think OC brings in?
Sorry, I meant: less power draw than a 980 Ti (though more than Pascal, likely).
quest_for_silence wrote:Anyway, with reference to 140mm fans, I already gave you the main solution as the first option, to pay about 22 euros/102 lei for a black GP-14 shipped to your door from Amazon.uk (as said, I prefers the right parts in the right place): it would cost as much as an FD HP-14, but it's a rare fan which is perfect for your colour-scheme, and better suited than the FDB sibling to be used with the R5 fan hub (usually money come and go, satisfaction lasts more).
Yes, black GP-14 is ideal due to color scheme and matching. However: the price is quite high in regard to the other options (Antec TrueQuiet 140, the Scythe fan you mentioned earlier, and the Scythe Glide Stream 140mm I noted which seems pretty good but I'm not sure yet). If I mount the Antec True Quiet 140 (or something else that doesn't look particularly appealing) as the 2nd front fan (bottom), I can probably stomach it because I won't be able to see it really. Replacing the exhaust with it would be more annoying. Though, again, Antec True Quiet 140 is sleeve which slightly worries me, despite it being very liked around these places apparently. I'm just wondering if there's something that's 140mm, FDB (or a mix like the GP-14) and black, and good. The ideal combination. Sorry, preconceived ideas. :(

I want more input so I can make the best decision, also from more people as it really seems that you're the only one at the moment who's helping me. Not saying it's bad advice, in fact quite the opposite I'd say but I want more people to let me know what they think.
Abula wrote:As time gets near we will see more leaks, atm what we have is fairy tails, but it starting to consolidate, latest rumors are dropping the HBA and GDDR5x, and giving us a more in line card with what Nvidia has been doing, that to me will be better probably in line with what they have been giving us per gen, around 25-30% increase. That said the HBA or/and GDDR5x version probably wont come until early next year with the Ti version that Nvidia is staring to make as habbit. I will wait until the MSI Lightning comes out, weather is on this gen or Ti.... will see =P
Well GTX 1080 (whatever they're calling it) is definitely not going to be HBM/HBM2. It could be GDDRX5X though, which as you said, might make it come out later. Though, I really think they'll release this summer otherwise Vega would be too close. But rumors are rumors. :P

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:32 am

ThePrussianPrince wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:I didn't get you: less power draw of which card? Didn't you have a 5850? And how many watts do you think OC brings in?
Sorry, I meant: less power draw than a 980 Ti (though more than Pascal, likely).

I think you're confused by your own words.

ThePrussianPrince

Post by ThePrussianPrince » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:37 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
ThePrussianPrince wrote:

I think you're confused by your own words.
I mean the 980 has less power draw than the 980 Ti. That is the obvious part. It doesn't make the link you posted irrelevant, but it does make it less useful (as in: not the exact same configuration is achieved so cooling performance may differ).

As for the other part, I meant that the 980 should have a lot more power draw than Pascal. And, implicitly, 980 Ti should have more as well.

Let me know if there is anything else to clarify, haha.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:30 pm

ThePrussianPrince wrote:It could be GDDRX5X though, which as you said, might make it come out later. Though, I really think they'll release this summer otherwise Vega would be too close. But rumors are rumors. :P
Seems its going to be GDDR5X on GTX1080, Guru3d Nvidia Pascal GP104-400 GPU photo surfaces and shows GDDR5X Memory.

Personally i think makes sense, this might make some people upgrade and they can leave the HBM for the GTX1080Ti early next year.

laststop

Post by laststop » Sat May 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Abula wrote:
ThePrussianPrince wrote:I'd imagine less power draw than a 980/980 Ti so should be easier to cool.
I would asume also.... but you never know, its a new architecture.... not always ends up more efficient, we will know in june.
Well we know now. The 980Ti is 250 watt TDP and the 1080 is 180 watt TDP for a massive 70 watts TDP less.

ThePrussianPrince

Post by ThePrussianPrince » Wed May 25, 2016 1:40 pm

laststop wrote:
Abula wrote:
Well we know now. The 980Ti is 250 watt TDP and the 1080 is 180 watt TDP for a massive 70 watts TDP less.
Yeah, I'm waiting for non-FE editions. I guess it's likely for them to be out 1-2 weeks after launch, though there are rumors about non-FE AIB versions being released on launch day too. Not going to get an FE honestly, AIB should be quieter, cooler, bring more performance, and be cheaper.

Regarding the extra front intake fan, I've decided on the True Quiet 140.

ThePrussianPrince

Post by ThePrussianPrince » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:29 am

Hey, so I have an update. I wasn't able to get an Antec True Quiet 140, so I got a Corsair AF140 instead which I mounted as the second front intake fan, in the bottom slot. Note that I'm using the 4790k @ 4.5 GHz (1.25v), and the HD 5850 still. Note that the fans are running at 7v. I've also done some test results with a 1 fan setup, and 2 fan setup. I recorded the results in idle for 5 minutes, and under a stress test for 10 minutes (p64v266 Blend). Here they are:

1 Fan Setup
Idle: http://i.imgur.com/z7pniiX.png
Load: http://i.imgur.com/HNRK0Eg.png

2 Fan Setup
Idle: http://i.imgur.com/J8JtNsH.png
Load: http://i.imgur.com/XIjalvl.png

Regarding the GPU situation, I've just decided to get an EVGA 980 Ti SC. Decided quite late when I should've really done it much earlier, I totally forgot about the EVGA Step Up Europe program. I'll just use it to step up to the 1080 ACX 3.0.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:16 am

CA_Steve wrote:
ThePrussianPrince wrote: EDIT: I saw in another thread that you suggested a Ninja over the Kotetsu: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67569&start=90
Don't they basically perform the same? Or am I missing something? You seem to mention: "Kotetsu would be fine for overclock w/ stock voltage. Maybe the Ninja for overvolting." Please enlighten me, I'm confused. How does the NH-D15 fit into this as well?

It does seem that NH-D15 is quite a bit better in situations where there is an overclock (that doesn't involve overvolting). Unless someone here can prove me wrong.
Kotetsu vs Ninja: same base, same mounting system, so similar capability to pull heat from CPU. Main difference is cooler fin mass. The latter didn't matter much for the 125W TDP CPU used in the review. But, perhaps with higher wattage, the bigger fin mass with approprite fan cfm can provide a better solution. Hard to compare against the Noctua as it has different everything. At some point, you need to stop quibbling over a few degrees C and dB. Every system is different. Every system needs to be tuned during install.
The Kotetsu has better clearance for RAM, I think? Sometimes this is a factor.