upgrade to make system quieter

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

paulprk

upgrade to make system quieter

Post by paulprk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:14 am

Hey everyone,

My current system is based on a server type of setup, which is very noisy. I have two E5-2620 v2 processors on a Supermicro X9DRG-QF motherboard with a lot of small fans. In addition to that I have a raid system with 6 drives. So the new case has to be able to fit all of those + SSD for the system. I also have a Geforce GTX970 GPU.

I'd like to make an upgrade, main purpose is to reduce the noise and to make this system as quiet as possible. I'm also planing to replace the motherboard as well. I decided to go for the:
motherboard ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS.

I have decided to go with the following hardware:

case: fractal design Define R4 Black Pearl with additional Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 fan to compliment the included 2 fans, so I would have 2 for the front and one for the back.

cpu cooler: 2 x Noctua NH-U12S SSO2

power supply: Corsair RM850i

What do you think for my choices and do you have any suggestions on how to make this system as quiet as possible? Is it possible to let the software control the fan speed based on the cpu and gpu temperature?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.

Fire-Flare

Re: upgrade to make system quieter

Post by Fire-Flare » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:17 pm

I don't see that motherboard on SpeedFan's list of supported hardware, but it may work anyway depending on what temperature sensor/fan control chip it uses.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the R4 case supports mounting EEB motherboards. Perhaps a Phanteks Enthoo Pro would work better or maybe even a Silverstone Raven if it's in your budget?

Those Noctua coolers should be compatible with the motherboard if they clear the memory.

My backup server is also based on a Supermicro tower, I drilled 140mm fan mounts in it to replace all the noisy 80 and 92mm ones and it's much quieter now: All I hear are the drives because they're hard-mounted in the 5.25 bays.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:00 am

paulprk wrote:Any advise is appreciated.
Which specific video card have you?

Fire-Flare wrote:All I hear are the drives because they're hard-mounted in the 5.25 bays.
Why didn't you suspend them?

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:57 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Fire-Flare wrote:All I hear are the drives because they're hard-mounted in the 5.25 bays.
Why didn't you suspend them?
Because I want to use the activity LEDs included with the 3.5 to 5.25 adapters.

paulprk

Post by paulprk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:41 am

Thank you for bringing the EEB form factor to my attention. I was completely unaware of this. Are there any other alternatives for EEB cases that would be able to fit 6x3.5"HDD + 1x2.5"SSD? I like the Raven, but the problem is that my workstation is placed on under my table. The space is 700mm high. The raven case is 620mm. It's fans are on the top, blowing the air upwards, which only leaves 80mm of space between the top of the case and the table top, which might be a problem.
So I would prefer front to back airflow. How hard is it to adopt and ATX case such as "fractal design Define R5" to mount an EEB motherboard on it?

What about the power supply? Any recommendations there? What should I be looking for when choosing one?

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:12 pm

paulprk wrote:Thank you for bringing the EEB form factor to my attention. I was completely unaware of this. Are there any other alternatives for EEB cases that would be able to fit 6x3.5"HDD + 1x2.5"SSD? I like the Raven, but the problem is that my workstation is placed on under my table. The space is 700mm high. The raven case is 620mm. It's fans are on the top, blowing the air upwards, which only leaves 80mm of space between the top of the case and the table top, which might be a problem.
So I would prefer front to back airflow. How hard is it to adopt and ATX case such as "fractal design Define R5" to mount an EEB motherboard on it?

What about the power supply? Any recommendations there? What should I be looking for when choosing one?
Is there a reason you can't use the Enthoo Primo? It's the least expensive solution I can find that will fit under your table. (With 165mm to spare.)

The only 'problem' is that you'll need to get creative with the SSD placement. (You can tape it inside to prevent movement, and there are 5.25 bay accessories with SSD mounts in them.)

Adapting an ATX to EEB would be more trouble than I'd want to get involved with: First you'll need a case that's deep enough for the extra length of motherboard, and then you'd need to drill new motherboard mounts in exactly the right spots.

As for PSU, I'm quite fond of SeaSonic. Particularly their X-series. You should make sure the PSU has all the connectors you need and enough power for all your devices at full load.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:13 pm

paulprk wrote:What about the power supply? Any recommendations there? What should I be looking for when choosing one?
If you don't use the GTX 970 for computing purposes, then 500W would suffice: unfortunately I'm not aware of 500W units with enough connectors for a dual 2620v2, and so about it goes if you have needed redundant units (I mean, a quiet one does not exist).

So the EVGA 750 G2 comes to mind, as well as the Corsair RM850x, among the least expensive, though quiet, options.

paulprk

Post by paulprk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:18 am

Thank you for your help!!!!